Ultimate Subaru Message Board

copper head gaskets

I hope it works for you, clearly you have the skills to pull it off.  Are you going to coat it or just put it on dry. Have you checked the surface to see if it's warped?

I am looking forward to my dose of "humble pie" if you make this work. Then I'll want a pair ;)

Edited by Crazyeights

so gasket is on engine is in its running i took it for a short drive and no more valcano out the radiator in fact theres almost no air bubbles i know theres still some air in the system so im expecting some bubbles but i popped the cap the water was right at the top of the radiator and only very small random bubbles i still havent installed the thermostate so i know theres no air traped there so so far so good we will see if it holds up

so the compression side of the gasket is all good but the bottom side has a definite oil leak im gona try and retorque it and see if i can get the oil to stop leaking i should have used the copper gasket sealer on it im sure i can get this to work its just gona need more work

• 1 month later...

Update im pulling the copper gasket off today i couldent get the oil to stop leaking so im installing a real gasket in its place so i guess this test was a fail but i think i can seal them so the next motor will have them just a few disign changes

I think the copper is to thin to cut a grove in from what i read on the net the trick is to strip a single strand of copper out of a copper wire and shape it to fit the ports and superglue it in place they say the wire will bite in to the head and make a very strong seal but that ridge would be hell to get out of the serface of the head and block

But i could use the bead roller and roll a small grove in it then fill with silicone ive seen store baught gaskets done like that might work better if used on mulit layered gaskets i dont know what would be easyer to make but it woild make surfacing the heads easyer or maybe highbread them together 2 layers a bead roled around the ports then copper wire ring then high temp silicone then samwitch it all together now that would be a hell of a gasket but would take me a few days to make each gasket