Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea 81 or ea 82 or?

i have an 88 dl wagon with spfi how do i know what ea it is and i also have no spark haven't figured out why yet to much broken and rusty stuff to fix. lots of broken off bolts. i haven't been able to find a wiring diagram for my car i have found some the same year but not the same unless i want to pay to much for,i am poor not cheap.i think i will try the public library in spokane next they are a little bit bigger than cheny.

Edited by soopsoop

Yeah, Subi stamps their blocks on the top.  Not hard to find.

As for the spark, you shouldn't need a diagram to start.  Do you have a test light?  Put it across the ignition coil terminals to see if you are getting a pulse while cranking. If so, your issue is on the secondary side of the ignition (high voltage: spark plug wires, coil wire, cap, rotor, and plugs), or the coil itself. If not, figure out which side is missing.  Should be constant power with key on, pulse ground with the disty turning, if I recall correctly. Then just trace the wire.

Edit: Here is a site with a pic of EA81 and EA82 long block. http://ramengines.com/page5.php

Edited by Dj7291993

I've got the 88 FSM's that the Spokane Library used to have :)

Bought them from a book reseller on Ebay and they were stamped "Spokane Public Library" 

I called them to make sure it wasnt' an unreturned set and they are not.

Anyhow....yeah.....might wanna try somewhere else. Sorry.

ok ,this car is teaching me patients now that the kids are gone. i asked God for patients and he gave me a subaru. once i cleaned the oil and grease off the engine i found the no. i dislike people who don't do proper maintaince it is cheap and simple.

Edited by soopsoop