Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing coolant tube from Ea81 intake manifold?

I'm prepping to do a Weber swap on my 83 GL wagon. I obtained a new intake manifold that I will clean up, paint, and mount the Weber on. My question is how to remove the coolant pipe that connects the heater hose to the manifold under the thermostat? Is it threaded in or pressed in? I used some penetrating oil and tried to unscrew it but it didn't budge. I didn't use a lot of force since I was unsure how it is attached.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is the manifold all painted up.

Like you, I'm also doing a weber swap on my 83 brat. Do you think you could explain to me how to hook up the vacuum lines (passenger, driver side valve lines and PCV valve lines)  after the weber is on?

Also I hear talk about the charcoal canister but I can't find it anywhere and don't know what it looks like..?

I did the swap this weekend. Been a little busy to post.

My charcoal canister was in front of the engine bay on the drivers side. Right up against the inside of the fender. Black, about the size and shape of a small coffee can, had three or four rubber lines running to it.

I plumbed the small PCV line from the tee to the air cleaner. The large line from the passengers side valve cover I rerouted to the front of the engine compartment and added a breather filter.

There is a great post on the board for an ea82 weber swap:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/71510-ideas-on-swaping-a-weber-carb-on-ea82´s/

There are a lot of similarities to the ea81. It's a great place to start.

I'll try to take some pics and post tomorrow.

• Like 1

Here is the manifold all painted up.

post-57043-0-20815000-1424926510_thumb.j

Yellow! ... :D ... my Choice of Colour.

...There is a great post on the board for an ea82 weber swap:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/71510-ideas-on-swaping-a-weber-carb-on-ea82´s/

There are a lot of similarities to the ea81. It's a great place to start...

I'm Glad that you found Useful information on my Writeup.

Kind Regards.

My charcoal canister was in front of the engine bay on the drivers side. Right up against the inside of the fender. Black, about the size and shape of a small coffee can, had three or four rubber lines running to it.

I plumbed the small PCV line from the tee to the air cleaner. The large line from the passengers side valve cover I rerouted to the front of the engine compartment and added a breather filter.

Wow, that was so, SO helpful!! I didn't quite understand the PCV line stuff before but I know what to do now, thanks to you! My engine is the ea81 so prolly not too many differences between the two. It should be pretty strait forward for me now.

Thanks again

Wow, that was so, SO helpful!! I didn't quite understand the PCV line stuff before but I know what to do now, thanks to you! ...

You're Welcome!

Yes, not much difference with the EA81, mainly the adaptor plate.

I have another question, would a clogged PCV valve cause oil to be pushed up into the air cleaner? ... the PCV valve hasn't been touched for a long time...

Maybe it is time for remove it for deep cleansing,

or find a new one in case it doesn't close / open properly.

Kind Regards.