Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Legacy SL Sunroof Question

On the 2nd gen, and likely the first gen, too the motor is above the map light thing. You have to remove that assembly. Likely pull the plastic cover for the light and there will be screws under there for pulling the assembly down.

Then on the sunroof motor there is an allen key drive you can put a socket or allen key into to manually turn the motor/sunroof assembly.

Before taking stuff apart, have you checked all the fuses? If you do end up pulling the map light assembly, check to make sure there's power to the sunroof or try to figure out why it isn't being powered.

Hopefully it isn't a broken cable, but when that happens it'll usually move a little bit and bind.

Replacing the sunroof, especially in a sedan is a really miserable job... I'm never owning another subaru with a sunroof....

Edited by 987687

on the 2nd gen the motor is above the front map lights. I'm assuming it's there on the 1st gen too, that's where almost every car puts the motor. Except for german manufactures, they probably put in the trunk with teleflex cables or something stupid...

Pull the front map light assembly and the sunroof motor and control stuff should be up in there. Hopefully it isn't a jammed, stuck, broken, or stripped cable. Best way to find out is to watch the manual drive screw when you press the button. Does the motor try to spin in both directions, but get jammed going forwards? Can you manually turn it forwards?

If for some unlikely reason they put the motor above the back dome light, then go check there. It just doesn't make sense as the glass slides over that light, so it would cause an unreasonably large bump down in the ceiling for all the mechanism.

Edited by 987687

They really put it all the way back there? weird! I guess now I know. Hopefully you can figure out why it isn't going electrically. If it works manually, and will open electrically, I'd bet the motor and all the mechanism is good. The problem is probably in a switch or something simple