Ok I've had a lot of people asking me about my disty swap. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about now you'll know. When I first got my '79 4wd wagon, the points disty was full of oil and just taking a crap on me. I decided to do a disty swap to a newer electronic disty from an EA81 2wd. Now for those of you who are thinking about the swap here's what you do:
1. Pull out the old disty and remove the wires and vacuum lines going to it.
2. Remove the ballast resistor and the little box on top of the coil so you have JUST the coil on the mount.
3. On mine I had to figure out which vacuum line went to the advance and which one went to the retard so one you know, plug off the retard I believe and use just the advance.
4. Connect the wires from the disty to the coil (yellow-negative, black-positive)
5. Reset your timing and away you go!!!
If you have any other questions, lemme know and I can see what I can do. I hope this helps everyone that has the older points disty:D
Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!
|Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.
We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!
Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!
Guest Message by DevFuse
EA71-EA81 electronic disty q's answered
No replies to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users