Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru 02 OBW rod, bearing, or piston slap? video link

Back story...

three months ago

start home and five mins into the drive temp gauge is sky high.  Refilled rad. with some water and I limped home with the keeping the temp gauge happy by keeping the rpms around 3k.  My heat was my canary in the cave, it would cut out if my rpms were to low. I guess the water pump had some air cavitation.

paid a duty dealership mechanic to replace the HG, timing belt, water pump 

Engine had a ticking sound, especially when cold around 2k-3k.  Thought is was a piston slap.

Over the last week I ran it the engine would die at a stop and that last time home ran real rough.  Thought it might be my tensioner.

I replaced the tensioner, pulleys and a new timing belt.  I do think that tensioner had to be replaced, because the sound I heard on other videos about tensioner is gone, and the car does not die with the diving RPM's like it did before.  

But now the engine has a very loud sound.  Is it a loud piston slap and I should just ride it out? 

Here's a link to hear the engine, at ten secs in you hear the louder sound I'm concerned about.

thanks

If it is piston slap, do you recommend marvel mystery oil?  I just switched to sythentic the last oil change….?

Nope, that's a rod knock.  Piston slap goes away when the engine warms up.  It will only get worse from here.

What's the condition of your oil? If you aren't mixing oil and coolant, I'd be really surprised.

When your car overheated, you blew your head gaskets and now you have compromised rod (at least) bearings. 

Too bad you put all that time and money into it in the last 3 months, because you've been running on borrowed time.  A lot more than most folks would get.

yeah, sounds like an early rod knock. Time for a new shortblock or used motor.

Shortblocks from 1990-2004 are compatible and can be put in using the heads, intake manifold etc from your car. Used motors from 2000-2004 legacy and outback, 02-04 Impreza and 1999-04 Forester will go in with little to no modification needed. Car-part.com and craigslist are good sources for used motor/shortblocks. Guys on here can ship a shortblock to you. I boxed one up a few months ago and fedexed it for $90.

Usually worth it. My wife ran her 2000 outback to 362k and it's still driving with a new owner. I'm at 225k on mine. Done right, a headgasket job will last on these motors where the 90s 2.5s would have repeated issues.

If you do source a used motor or shortblock you've already got plenty of nearly new parts to go on it to get you started fresh.

• Like 1

yeah, sounds like an early rod knock. Time for a new shortblock or used motor.

Shortblocks from 1990-2004 are compatible and can be put in using the heads, intake manifold etc from your car. Used motors from 2000-2004 legacy and outback, 02-04 Impreza and 1999-04 Forester will go in with little to no modification needed. Car-part.com and craigslist are good sources for used motor/shortblocks. Guys on here can ship a shortblock to you. I boxed one up a few months ago and fedexed it for $90.

Usually worth it. My wife ran her 2000 outback to 362k and it's still driving with a new owner. I'm at 225k on mine. Done right, a headgasket job will last on these motors where the 90s 2.5s would have repeated issues.

If you do source a used motor or shortblock you've already got plenty of nearly new parts to go on it to get you started fresh.

A shortblock from 1990 is not really compatible. Those are 2.2s and the bore is smaller.  The water jacket holes are different on the EJ25 DOHC from 1996 to 1999, plus the pre-6/98 engines had a 4 bolt bell housing where the later ones had 8 bolts.  If you want this to last for any amount of time without making significant modifications, a shortblock from a '99 Forester and then Legacy or Outback from 2000-up fit correctly. 

Edited by ccrinc
  • Like 1