Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Box with Slider on '93 Loyale

jread

Now that I think I have my radio MP3 project sorted I'm going to move onto another one I've been planning. Recently removed the rear bumper because basically it was non existent due to rust. Weird as the rest of the car is in pretty good shape. Was hoping to add one of those diamond plated tool boxes to the back of my Loyale. Was planning to attach it to the bumper mounts and put it on a small slider so I could still open the trunk, possibly even double it as a table for when I'm camping!

What I'm wondering is how heavy duty do I need to make this thing to load it up to 300 pounds (to be safe) and will mounting it at the bumper mounts be strong enough?

I'm getting the box at the scrap yard I work at really cheap as well as the metal to build it. My welding skills are non existent so was just going to bolt together a bunch of aluminum corner bar. If need be I could have it welded by a friend out of steel but would rather work on my own and with lightweight aluminum!

I made a quick sketch, my 3d drawing skills progressed as I finished up! The two bumper mounts are on the left, one cross beam to hold the supports for the box, two support beams (green) that would sit under where the walls of a truck bed would sit under the box (and where the bearing slider would be). I think the pieces of aluminum are about 5 x 5" and around 1/4" thick with even thicker corners. The blue would be bolts and extra brackets to hold the supports. The box is about 24" deep and would likely have to come out about 8" to let the door swing open. Likely going to use a system like this with skateboard bearings i have tons of to make the slider: http://www.instructables.com/id/TRUCK-BED-DRAWERS/step3/Lights/

It may get tricky if I have to raise or lower the box to avoid getting in the way of the tail lights! Was thinking of even raising it up so the wider section is over the tail lights but that would require considerably more work.

IMG_20150226_002347.jpg

Recap of my question.

Will mounting this to the bumper mounts cause problems? They seemed pretty sturdy to me...

Also will this aluminum bolted together be strong enough?

i have a set up kinda like that its a metal box though it mounts on a 2" reciver i used it for my tools on my scout when i was working it fits the subi too now it just sits in storage with my tools in it wroting away but any way it just slides in any 2" reciver ive loaded around #1000 in it and holds up fine you could wire in some trailer lights that use a standered trailer light plug i also use a harbor freight basket works the same way i use it for hauling motors trans and other large dirty items it was only $40 and works great the wait limit on the basket is #300 if i remeber right my scout uses a clas 4 hitch our subis are at best a class 1 hitch i wouldent trust the factory bumper mounting points by them selfs to hold any kind of wait they just go in to sheet metal in my opinion building a new bumper with lots of extra bracing and a reciver mount in it is the way to go and get a cheep basket set your box in the basket and be done with it its way more usefull than just a box i also have a dirt bike carrier and a good hitch for towing stuff and a few winches that mount in there aswell just dont over load the hitch you dont want to rip the sheet metal

You're going to need industrial drawer slides that will take the weight. I've looked into these before for different projects and you're going to be starting around $300. You could do it without using actual slides, but it's going to be hell moving it in and out when loaded, not to mention you'll have to fab up some kind of stop system so it doesn't pop out. This means lots of welding. Something else to think about is the extra weight on the rear suspension. You're hanging 300lbs off the end of the car levering the front up. IIRC from past events using a couple of my Subies to move heavy trailers in and out of tight spots, the front end is going to come up about 2-3". This is going to reduce effective traction, change steering and suspension angles and make it unsafe to drive at higher speeds as it's going to want to wander. These cars weren't all that heavy to begin with. Since braking is 60/40 front/rear, you're braking effectiveness is also going to be reduced since you are, in effect, removing weight from the front. 300lbs isn't a lot, so the effect might not be as drastic, but just some things to think about before and during the build.

That bed slide is epic!

I will make my own slider out of 608 bearings and some bolts its pretty easy and won't be overloaded (mostly just skateboards and camping gear). The stop should be pretty easy I was going to put a QR bolt on when its snugged up against the back and just bold on some kind of bracket to stop it sliding forward maybe even a brace that goes all the way across and bolts onto both sides.

Sounds like I have my answer on bumper mounts! No go. Thats going to make things a lot more difficult but I'll figure it out and come back with a new drawing. I don't really want a basket I will be storing pretty light but large items in it so I don't want them pooping out and I want the thing to lock up anyhow! Also don't really want to spend $100 on a basket.

Thanks for the info