Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just got a 2001 OBW with 163K.   I put four KYB on my 2002 that now has a rod knock.  So I plant to swap out my good parts.  I put a lot of weight in back daily and would like to have stiffer rear springs.  I've been looking around and only see stiff in Australia and UK.  Tire rack doesn't have any.  Are there some aftermarket stiffer springs available?    Should I not put any spacers in there?  I would not mind the extra height but I really want stiffer springs.

thanks

I'm pretty sure 00-04 bajas have the same suspension and pretty much everything else as outbacks. Rockauto lists exactly the same part numbers for outback as baja suspension.

05/06 bajas have different stuff, though, so maybe those are the ones that are stiffer.

I, too, have the same issue with soft rear springs in my 00 outback, so I'm interested to see what the options here are.

+1 for King Springs. I install these frequently and have yet to have a dissatisfied customer. Just did a set on an 05 H6 and the ride quality was amazing. Primitive Racing in Oregon is our supplier for them. Stock has been iffy bc the dock strikes, but there's a shipment of them waiting to be unloaded if they don't have what you need right now.

Baja's were made from 03-06. Same body style as the 00-04 legacy Outback. Same basic suspension for all years but there were differences in springs on the later turbo and H6 models.

King springs offers stiffer stock height and raised height springs depending on if/how much you want to lift.

Primitive is the only U.S. supplier I know of.

The leather power heated seats, leather trim, and sunroof add some heft.

H6 VDC limited is the king of the hill at over 3,700.

From cars 101.com 2003 Outback page:

Curb weight:

Outback wagon: manual 3,430: Auto trans 3,495

Outback Limited wagon: Manual 3,510; Auto trans: 3,575

LL Bean wagon: 3,715

VDC wagon: 3,735

Outback Sedans:

Limited 4 cyl: 3,495

Limited H-6: 3,610

Limited H-6 VDC: 3,630