Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 Head Botls

I've been trying to research on here, haven't come up with an answer yet so I'm gonna shoot this question out there.

[Quick story time]

So after some searching i finally figured out that a leak I've been experiencing for a couple years has been coming from the oil pan gasket. OK no problem i say to myself, so a couple weeks ago i drain the oil to assess the situation further and find to my surprise.. white creamy floaties (joy!)

No big deal right? Since I have to take the engine out anyway I can replace the head gaskets while I'm at it, got some decent metal ones from RockAuto a couple years ago too.  

Couple people I've been talking to tell me to have the heads re-surfaced, again costly but I'm finally in a position where i can make that work.

[End Story]

My question is, True or False - I need knew Head Bolts.  I have been told that the old ones will be warped and if i get new head gaskets and a resurface that i will want new bolts or it will only be a matter of time before those crack if I put them back in.

ALSO can someone explain how to modify a 17mm socket to extract them instead of buying the special Subaru Socket (Or is that really what I need?) 

Awesome, not needing to buy new studs will save me some $$.

Any tips on what to use for a socket? Again I know Subaru has their special one but I had herd that you can make a 17 mm work?

Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it.

On a side note I'm headed down your way tomorrow djcommie! Wish I could bring braticus but I don't think he'd appreciate a 200 mile trip with leaking gaskets right now.

A really short 17mm socket (that you're willing to grind on a little bit) and a 3/8" extension may clear . I suppose you could just remove the rocker assembly to gain the necessary clearance, since you may want to anyway to get the heads skimmed and checked for cracks.