Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 legacy heating problems

my son bought a 1999 legacy with 92000 miles.he had it about 2 weeks it started overheating.temp gage would be about half way up but no heat inside.went up the road about 1/4 mile temp went all the way up.so I changed the thermostat.its not a Subaru thermostat but an oem replacement.i checked the new one and the old one and both opened fine.i also changed the water pump and timing belt since the miles were getting up there.still same problem.ran for about 30 minutes,i should have all the air out.temp gage half way still no heat.i took heater core hose off where they attatch at the engine. and started the engine.i got aliitle steam out the top one but nothing out the one that comes from the waterpump.topped off the radiator and got more steam.should the coolant flow through the heatercore at all times?should coolant come from the hose at the water pump by the thermostat or just when the thermostat is open.im sorry I don't know anything about subarus.if anyone can help please let me know.thanx tim.

Edited by ttscooks10

Have him keep one eye on the temp gauge and the other on the road.  It's highly likely that those head gaskets are now compromised. 

1st rule of owning a Subaru: NEVER, ever, under any circumstances let it overheat

2nd rule:  faithful, regular oil changes and keep an eye on the oil between changes.

These are hard to fill with coolant because of the radiator design.

Coolant does flow through the core at all times. Out the top of the block, through the core, then back to the thermostat.

Hot flow of coolant helps keep the t-stat open because its on the inlet side of the pump.

If you don't have heat the stat will close and engine will overheat because coolant flow gets blocked. If you ever notice heat not working pull over and check coolant level.

• Like 1