Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No sound from the rears with original stock radio.  Replaced with a pioneer still nothing.  Pulled the rear panels and get no power to the speakers on either side.  Swapped out the speakers with a set of known good ones just to be sure--still no sound.

Looked for broken wires in the door jams but all looks good on both sides.  Seems the power loss is somewhere else.. Any ideas?

thanks

Need to check continuity from the radio harnes to the plugs in the doors. If you have no continuity just run some new wires for the rear speakers.

Is the original radio harness plug still in the dash? Nobody's been squirreling around in there and cut all the wires have they?

Pull the deck and check the wiring behind the deck. Is it a stock or aftermarket deck? Either way you can look at the wiring diagram on the FSM and find out which wires are the rear speakers, splice some new speaker wire in and run it back. I had the same problem on my 95 legacy it turned out that whoever wired the deck did it incorrectly and didn't even sure the rear speakers in. Then just left it out of sheer laziness. You would be surprised at the rediculous stuff people do when wiring cd players and car stereo systems.

• 3 weeks later...

I have that funny feeling that I'm missing something obvious.  I took the advice and ran some new wires back from the deck to the left rear speaker.  When I test (with a meter) I get about 5.6V to each lead with other lead to ground.  However I get no sound when connect to the speaker.

I have 3 rear speakers and tried all 3 just in case--but no luck.  I haven't re-wired the right rear speaker yet (not sure that matters). 

Any ideas where I'm screwing up?

I have that funny feeling that I'm missing something obvious. I took the advice and ran some new wires back from the deck to the left rear speaker. When I test (with a meter) I get about 5.6V to each lead with other lead to ground. However I get no sound when connect to the speaker.

I have 3 rear speakers and tried all 3 just in case--but no luck. I haven't re-wired the right rear speaker yet (not sure that matters).

Make sure you have everything adjusted on your deck. There are so many sub menus it's easy to miss one. I had a similar problem,did two new rear speakers and I was sure I had them hooked up correctly but no matter what I did I had no sound. Ended up being the settings on my deck. Good luck!

I have that funny feeling that I'm missing something obvious. I took the advice and ran some new wires back from the deck to the left rear speaker. When I test (with a meter) I get about 5.6V to each lead with other lead to ground. However I get no sound when connect to the speaker.

I have 3 rear speakers and tried all 3 just in case--but no luck. I haven't re-wired the right rear speaker yet (not sure that matters).

Do you have that on both sides (left and right)?

Since the front speakers work, compare voltage to those and see if its the same.

I have seen some decks cut power to either front or rear or all 4 speakers if one channel is shorted to ground.

When you swapped the stereo did you swap the adapter harness with it?

Well it seems the obvious thing I was missing was the potential that I had 4 bad rear speakers.  Two originals plus two more I bought through eBay from a junked vehicle.

Just for giggles I took down the front door panel and plugged the front speak into both rears and Elvis was in the building.  Ugh!!

Anyone suggest a decent pair of aftermarket rear speakers?