Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing Engine in '99 Legacy Outback

I think my '99 Legacy Outback engine has just about had it. It's the 2.5L DOHC engine. It is burning oil like nothing else, to the order of a quart and a half per tank. It's not smoking, but I have a ton of soot at my tailpipe. Very oddly though, the engine is still running great. Still plenty of power and I still get 25 mpg on the highway.

My friend and I suspect that some rings have gone bad on at least one piston. I have a weird oscillating air pressure at the oil fill cap that's we feel is indicative of piston blow by. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before my catalytic converters are completely clogged and the car will barely run. 

Now, the rest of the vehicle is in pretty good condition so I want to try getting the engine good again. I could always tear the engine down and do a complete rebuild, but that would leave me with the same DOHC engine. Personally, I don't like having to unbolt and jack up the engine to get to one of the spark plugs.

I was hoping I could get everyone's opinion here as to if that is the best course of action or if it would be possible to get an older and more reliable EJ22 SOHC engine and have it installed without too much headache. Most preferably, I would like an EJ22 that is non-interference. One less thing to worry about. My '94 Legacy L has 300k on the engine and is still doing pretty good and it has an EJ22 SOHC. 

Thanks much for any insight. 

First, change the PCV with a Subaru part and make sure the hoses going to it are not blocked.  Search this form for oil consumption and you will find several threads.  

Second, a 95 with EGR valve that you have on your 99 is a plug and play option.  I've done many of these swaps and love them.

• Like 1

Certainly a plausible scenario that one or more compression or oil scraper rings are worn beyond repair. However, did this engine overheat at all previously to where it may have damaged the cylinders or rings?

There is also a small chance that your rings are just stuck in position and may warrant a cleaning. I'd recommend beginning your journey in that direction first.

If that does not fix the issue then of course engine tolerances are worn beyond the scope of cleaning and Imdew's suggestion would apply in this case.

I have a 1995 2.2 swapped into my 98 Outback, and like the conversion. The 2.2 runs smoother then the 2.5, has a little less power, but you learn to live with it.

As others have said, I would not give up on your current 2.5 without learning why it is burning oil. Since you say it still runs well, with good power, it just may be needing a PCV valve, would also recommend adding Marvel Mystery Oil drive about 50 miles, then change oil. Just might be gunked up, and the Marvel will clean things out.

...did this engine overheat at all previously to where it may have damaged the cylinders or rings?

There is also a small chance that your rings are just stuck in position and may warrant a cleaning. I'd recommend beginning your journey in that direction first.

It did overheat a bit after I had a shop look at the timing belt. They removed the radiator and didn't make sure the water pump wasn't vaporlocked when refilling the coolant. It got quite hot, but I stopped and got the coolant circulating.

As others have said, I would not give up on your current 2.5 without learning why it is burning oil. Since you say it still runs well, with good power, it just may be needing a PCV valve, would also recommend adding Marvel Mystery Oil drive about 50 miles, then change oil. Just might be gunked up, and the Marvel will clean things out.

Would a bad PCV valve cause the oscillating pressure at the oil filler cap? I will try the oil cleaner. The oil I'm running in it now is Castrol GTX high mileage.

There is actually a large o-ring that goes on the underside of that cap.  We provide it in our install kits and it's the one thing people call and ask about all the time.  "I figured everything else out, but what's this huge brown o-ring for?"  :D

• 2 weeks later...

So, quick update. I was getting ready to check and clean out the PCV valve when I smelled a tiny bit of burnt antifreeze. I checked the oil again and it looked fine, not milky or anything like that. I also checked the coolant resevoir. and it was all nice and bright green. Then I felt like checking the actual radiator. I opened the cap and stuck a twisted paper towel down there to soak up some coolant. It came out very dark. My head gasket is toast. Really sucks too because I bought the car not 10000 miles ago and the person I got it from had just rebuilt the engine from a failed timing belt. He had new valves, head gaskets, and everything. 

So, I think I'm back to the engine swap. Where would be the best place to get a '95 ej22 with the EGR? Imduw mentioned that it was a plug and play option for the car. Is that a good engine to swap in to the '99? Any other suggestions on engines that are still nice engines, but easy and affordable to get a hold of? Also, how much am I looking to spend on a replacement engine and where should I look. Thanks very much.

Most reasonable source for EJ22s would be a Pull n' Pay yard--probably a couple of hundred dollars, depending on where you are.  Hopefully Larry (lmdew) or some other swapmasters will chime in with ideas.

Post your location in your ID--people might have some specific suggestions then.  Good luck.

So, quick update. I was getting ready to check and clean out the PCV valve when I smelled a tiny bit of burnt antifreeze. I checked the oil again and it looked fine, not milky or anything like that. I also checked the coolant resevoir. and it was all nice and bright green. Then I felt like checking the actual radiator. I opened the cap and stuck a twisted paper towel down there to soak up some coolant. It came out very dark. My head gasket is toast. Really sucks too because I bought the car not 10000 miles ago and the person I got it from had just rebuilt the engine from a failed timing belt. He had new valves, head gaskets, and everything. 

So, I think I'm back to the engine swap. Where would be the best place to get a '95 ej22 with the EGR? Imduw mentioned that it was a plug and play option for the car. Is that a good engine to swap in to the '99? Any other suggestions on engines that are still nice engines, but easy and affordable to get a hold of? Also, how much am I looking to spend on a replacement engine and where should I look. Thanks very much.

With a Subaru, if you have bad head gaskets, you learn that because the motor over heats. In your posts, I don't see you having that problem at all. Subarus don't break their head gaskets, so that coolant mixes with the engine oil, so very unlikely to see milky looking oil as a result. The dark antifreeze in your radiator is more likely because the antifreeze has not been changed in that car for a long time. Yea, I read that the previous owner said he rebuilt the motor 10K miles ago, maybe so, maybe not. Unless the previous owner showed you work receipts for that work done, then it is only his word that the work was done. Who knows how good he is at telling the truth.

IMO, I would not give up on that motor just yet. Change the antifreeze, swap out the PCV valve, and add the cleaners to the oil as recommended earlier. These are all recommendations for a motor that hasn't had much attention given to it in some time. These are all cheap and easy treatments. Worth giving a try before swapping out motors.

A little more work is worth it.

As far as finding a 2.2, local yards are best as you don't have to pay shipping.  To get an idea of what's out there, use www.car-part.com and search for a 95 Legacy, the auto trans cars came with the EGR.