Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intermittent Trans Sticking in 4th Gear? What Gives?

Hey Guys.

I am having fun with my fully restored Brat that I got from a fellow board member, but I have been presented a new problem.

Intermittenly, the stupid transmission does not want to come out of 4th gear!! I can sometimes "slam" it, and it will come out, other times, I have to let clutch out slightly to let it grab, then, push it out of fourth.

Other times, no freaking issues at all.

Any idea what this can be? Good thing I have a spare 5 speed I will be prepping to stick in there when I get some time (depending on issue, maybe sooner than later).

let me know.. Thanks!!!

Something about the shift pads wearing out inside the transmission.

Is it only getting stuck in 4th gear when you're stopped? That's usually when I see them get stuck in 3rd/4th. The solution is just to not come to a stop in gear.

Actually, YES.. only when I am stopped!!!! or really slow..

So, when slowing to a stop, I should just push clutch in (while still moving), take it into Nuetral?

Is there an easy way to fix... I am going to change the gear oil and stick some Lucas in there when it warms up..

but... still, have a spare 5 speed, so I will go that route when I get some time.. and get Jerry in WA to build me up his kit after I remove the trans out of my spare brat to restore to get the needed pieces so I don't take my primary brat offline while waiting for the parts needed.

You should be downshifting to slow down to a stop anyway. there's no reason to stop with your clutch in, transmission in highest gear...

Now you have a REALLY good reason not to do that...if you're under a speed where you'd use 4th gear for driving, don't be in 4th gear, then it won't get stuck.

• Like 1

Sounds like a possible combination of 1) old gear oil sludge residue on gears and syncros, and/or 2) clutch is dragging ever-so-slightly and keeping pressure/torque on the gears while not moving, or moving slow. Its is all I can think of with an older manual transmission from Soob.

If you're going to change the trans fluid consider adding some Trans-X prior to changing. Drive it easy for a while to circulate and warm the fluid so to allow the Trans-X to remove and sludges. OK...really, its not just magic in a can, but do follow the directions.

Rock on and GL(good luck)!

Stay thirsty.

• Like 1