Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2006 impreza wagon 4300 55 watt HID H7 in the Low Beams

As the title says my 2006 impreza wagon now has 4300 degree Kelvin 55 watt HID H7s in the Low Beams.

The short story is that they still have a really good cutoff they aren't blinding and they are brighter. :)

These bulbs appear to me to be 100% compatible ! I have a standard conservative DOT beam pattern! Perfect!

The H7 HID bulbs are a direct fit for the OEM low beam projector lamps, including arc gap etc...

The 55 watt HID bulbs actually run cooler than the 55 watt halogen bulbs they replace.

HID bulbs give off more light in the visible and ultra violet spectrum and less into heat/infra red region, but with halogen more than two thirds of their total energy gets wasted in the non visible infra red spectrum, fact.

HID 3 times brighter per watt. They are busier making light than they are making heat.

No they are not as bright as your typical uber riche mobile. This is simply because the factory lens and reflector system in the lamp is smaller, from simpler times.

I got the 55 watt ballasts but didn't require the canbus version. I did require capacitors to keep the daylight running voltages from causing visible flicker.

Note... Get bigger capacitors for 55 watts as most of them will be made for 35 watt. 

This advise should also apply to the identical 2007 impreza. The 2006 sti which had HIDs as an option used a very similar almost identical headlight assembly but the bulbs they use are 35 watt D2S base.

Cheers! :P

I spent money on every thing I could and including a very professional/clean installation it came to 180$ + tax.

I got it done at https://www.facebook.com/jvghid

JVG Auto Customs Inc.

Edited by subaruplatt

Nice man. I bought and installed a 35W HID kit on my 95 Legacy recently and absolutely love it. They are 6000K bulbs and are so much brighter than the stock H4 Halogens. Mine are Bi-Xenon so they have the highbeam and lowbeam in the same bulb. But it's also a different headlight setup than yours is. 

And as far as compatibility goes. I don't have projectors yet, but everyone says HIDs aren't compatible with stock lens made for Halogens. Not true. Mine put out a perfect oval shaped pattern in the front of the car. High or low the beams are very clear and focused. I was actually surprised at how well they work together. And they don't blind people. I still want projector lens though to get the most out of my HIDs.

Edited by nicholi2789