Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Our '00 Legacy is hitting 150K miles, and it feels like it wants new struts.

Fairly normal wear cycle?

If so, I want to put the best deal aftermarket Outback struts on. Can it be done without major surgery?

I probably wouldn't have noticed swapping driving back-and-forth with the '87 GL 'Powder Patrol', but since I've gotten my lovely '95 Legacy ("Bluebaru", he named it) from Cory, the '00 seems to be a bit tired in the ride dept. (and a few random bump noises from up front as well).

THANX, Smitty

Yep, pretty normal.

Major surgery is relative. It's not for beginners. I would rate it about as hard as a timing belt, but much more dangerous. Spring compressors are not very forgiving devices. Some special tools are necessary; spring compressor, strut tool, and a camber gauge is nice to have. You should get an alignment afterwards if the fronts were replaced. Make sure the front strut mounts get replaced too.

And he has all that equipment, and the guys who know how to us it ... and the workmens comp insurance in case one of them manages to perform a sexchange operation with a spring compresser.

When I ask him to order me 'Outback struts', as opposed to Legacy struts of the same year; can I tell him 'yes', when he says 'no'?

And, after all, will it make any significant difference in ride height and feeling, or no? The only reason for the change is to get a little more clearance before we start plowing snow with the front valance. The '95 would benefit too!