Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey people !! Got a ? on my 2000 Legacy , wondering if ya'll could help me out...My ABS light says on when the car is shut off and keys out of it.. Been having a couple issues with it wanting too shut off while im driving it..Just curious if that's a sign of something? Let me know what cha think... Thanks

ABS light stays on when the car is off?!  woah - that's not normal at all, that's very weird.

Did you buy it like this?
Have you owned the car since new and this just happened yesterday?
Has the car ever been wrecked?
Any aftermarket remotes, starters, heaters, stereo, alarm?

Is it draining the battery or making noises?

there's a black 2 (or 3?) row connector above the gas pedal.  cut the ground plugs tapped to the wiring behind the connector and ground the appropriate pin.

that will cause the ABS light to flash the code causing the ABS to freak out.

that procedure and pictures are all over the interweb, search for Subaru ABS code retrieval procedure.

• Like 1

Yes the ABS light stay on when the car is off..And yes it drains the battery completely over nite..There is a sorta buzzin noise coming from behind the steering wheel when key is turned forward... Nothing aftermarket on it...I've had the car for 4or5 years never had an issue with the ABS light. or anything draining the battery..Just parked the car one eveing went out the next moring and wouldn't start...Got it running a few days later bye pumping the heck out of the gas pedal ,so I figured might have been the fuel filter clogged / Replaced fuel filter yesterday ..haven't run it enough too tell if that fixed it or not..and now something is draining my battery..i wouldn't think a lil ABS light would drain a fully charged battery overnite..thanks

I would check the ABS relay - that may be the noise. 

It looks like it may be integrated into the ABS unit itself - possibly not replaceable or with some difficulty dissecting the ABS unit.

They fail so rarely that a used one is perfectly acceptable and inexpensive.  Someone probably has a used one they can sell yo\u.  I've never bothered to keep them when parting out because there's zero demand.

Someone on subaruoutback.org is parting out an 00-04 outback, actually two different guys are.

or

www.car-part.com

Pulling the ABS fuse will keep the car useable.  The ABS just won't work but the brakes will function as normal.