Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"My name is Earl" Brat - Why the Flag paint job ?

I did a real quick search on this, but have a suspicion or hunch about it...

WHY was the Brat on "My name is Earl" painted with an American flag ?!?
Although it is possible is already had that paint job, the odds are that it was painted for the series.

Here's what I am wondering...

Could it have been some joke, like Joy was dumb and thought is was an American vehicle instead of Japanese? ( It was an American "DESIGN" )

Is there any particular reason expressed in the series about WHY it was painted with the American Flag? No reason? Just being patriotic regardless of it being a Japanese vehicle?

I mean... Logically otherwise, would it not have the Japanese Setting Sun ?

- Has anyone painted a Brat like that?

Inquiring mind(s) want to know !!!

I'm not sure but i got into the show because of the brat. In the first episode had the factory style jump seats and was still painted factory midnight blue and had a gray BRAT stripe. so imagine it was painted for the show especially since i think it had to chrome trims on the windows the first episode and after that it only had the windshield chrome along with what look like retrofit front bucket seats for dodge and earl jr.'s car seats.

The "rising sun" is not the national flag... It is a war flag adopted during the late 1800s and used by the imperial navy and army. It is still a sensitive symbol for many WW II vets, Koreans, Chinese etc who suffered under the hands during that time. Westerners have adopted it as a cool design but it has some pretty nasty history behind it.

With that said I think the American flag motif is more to paint Joy as a red neck.

BTW... I was born in Japan and spent 10yrs as an adult there, my 3 boys were born there and my wife is 1/2, I have a great respect for the people and culture.

• Like 2

The "rising sun" is not the national flag... It is a war flag adopted during the late 1800s and used by the imperial navy and army. It is still a sensitive symbol for many WW II vets, Koreans, Chinese etc who suffered under the hands during that time. Westerners have adopted it as a cool design but it has some pretty nasty history behind it.

With that said I think the American flag motif is more to paint Joy as a red neck.

BTW... I was born in Japan and spent 10yrs as an adult there, my 3 boys were born there and my wife is 1/2, I have a great respect for the people and culture.

I respect japanese history and culture. Once "western" ideas were brought to their attention, they ran with it and made better what the europeans had begun.

That being said;

Do you think patriotism is synonymous with being a redneck?

an American design ? The EA81 MY shapes of sedan, two door and wagon , or just the El Camino look cutdown of the wagon ?

The basic utility design concept started down under in Australia according to folklore when a farmers wife asked for a vehicle that could be used on the farm  and take her to church on Sunday :) back about the day US cars were made right hand drive