Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 outback ez30 lower idler bearing

My 2002 Subaru was knocking with codes for 1 3 5 misfire.while trying to start it the engine siezed.I pulled the timing chain cover off and found the lower idler sprocket bearing is gone ,with metal shaving's and a few pieces, I'm hoping that the parts are stuck in the oil pump and may be that's why it will not turn,any ideas.and is there a bearing or bushing that's goes in the sprocket

post-57447-0-14411800-1425796071_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikedarija

woah, that's a can of worms.  i would assume there's bent valves, but maybe you'll get lucky.

ideally you get the crank properly lined up to a non-interference position so you can rotate the cams into place first.

be careful turning crank/cams if the crank/cams aren't positioned in such a way that interference will incur.

did you try and turn the engine over by hand?

did you try moving the crank or cams by hand once the chain is off?

did you remove the chains without lining anything up?  the crank and cams should be turned by hand so they're all lined up in a non-interference positino before removing the timing chain.

Ouch!

If that thing was on there bouncing around it probably let the timing jump on the 135 side. Bent valves are pretty likely.

Remove the oil filter and cut it open and look for a bunch of metal in there. If there's not alot in there its probably ok to pull the heads and fix the valves. If you find tons of metal in the filter there's a good chance metal has made its way into the lower bearings and there will be no point trying to fix it.