Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Member and his "Scooby"

Hey guys!

Just joined the USMB!  Very exciting stuff! I am very into late 1980s era subarus.  Of the 17 cars I've owned over the years (none wrecked, mind you, just bought `n sold), 8 have been Subarus!  I just love `em!  My favorite one, and the one I'm still kicking myself for ever selling, was car #6, a 1988 Subaru GL Wagon.  Name was "Oreo" even though she was beige colored, but she got me all through high school and all the fun times during.  Only sold her because the parents convinced me I wouldn't need a car in the city for college (I was moving to Seattle; had NO IDEA that Seattle didn't do public transport well!).  But, ce la vie! ...but still kicking myself for selling her!

Anyway, long story short, I've been looking to get my hands on the wheel of a late 80s GL wagon again.  But here's the kicker, as I'm sure many of you know: They're codswalloping hard to find because anyone with any sense is not letting them go! 

But surprise, surprise!  Yesterday, as a matter of fact, on March 7, 2015, I'm driving down the road watching the scenery and low and behold, there sits a Subaru 5-door Wagon, and it is FOR SALE!  Well, I slam my breaks on, shoot into reverse, and slicker `n snot, I'm the proud new owner of "Scooby!" 

Now get this!  Here's a car that is roughly 33 years old, right? I kid you not, this baby has only had ONE OWNER before me!  This lady drove Scooby off the lot, brand new, back in 1982 and she'd kept her in top running shape ever since!  And other than some rather unfortunate front-door-mounted speaker boxes that look like they're from the 60s, this car is ALL ORIGINAL:

- One-owner 1982 Subaru 5-door Wagon, always garaged

- Maroon paint

- matching maroon plaid seat fabric

- white 8-spoke Subaru wheels

- 1.8 L H4 OHV EA81 engine with only 162,000 miles

- AC (still working!)

- power steering

- power windows (all working, no less!)

- cruise control (not sure yet about working...)

- 4-speed manual

- Aaaannnndddd.....the cherry on top of a super awesome day?.....the THIRD EYE "CYCLOPS" HEADLIGHT in the grill!

To be honest, I've focused so much on later model years that, until yesterday, I didn't know Subaru even made a car with 3 headlights. And after some short internet searching, I'm beginning to assume this was/is a rare feature to find. Which is cool. I'm going to do my very best to keep her in tip top shape as well. 

Only a couple cosmetic issues with Scooby I should point out, there's a thumb-sized blotch of rust by the rear wheel well on the drivers side and some quarter sized rust bubbles on the passenger side. Also, the rear drivers door doesn't open from the outside (probably can fix that easily enough), the seats fabric has some splits, and the left front turn single housing is busted from hitting a deer. Damn deer. So if anyone knows some sources for this era of parts, I'd appreciate any heads up you can give me.

As for pictures, I didn't have my phone yesterday, but I'll be licensing her tomorrow and transferring the title, so I'll be sure to take some pictures if anyone is interested. Anyway, would love to talk to you guys and happy Subaru-ing to ya`ll!!!

Nick

PS: Scooby makes this my 9th Subaru and 17th car over-all. Whoo!