Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How strong are the subaru 5spd FWD trannies?

How strong are the subaru 5spd FWD trannies? I am thinking of doing a project and i would want to use a FWD 5spd trannie, so i was wondering what is there torq limit. Also is there a hydralicly operated FWD trannie or are all of them cable operated?

How strong are the subaru 5spd FWD trannies? I am thinking of doing a project and i would want to use a FWD 5spd trannie, so i was wondering what is there torq limit. Also is there a hydralicly operated FWD trannie or are all of them cable operated?
What do you mean by hydraulically operated? I think all Subaru manual trans. have the gear shift attached to metal linkages which are attaced to the shift forks. Anyone have one apart?

Yeah I meant is it cable operated, or hydraclily operated. Does any one know how power it can hold, the only thing iam kind of weary about is the front diff sence all the power is going to be going through it instaed of of half. Then again i never heard of a front diff breaking on a 5spd before. So hopefully its strong.

Yeah I meant is it cable operated, or hydraclily operated. Does any one know how power it can hold, the only thing iam kind of weary about is the front diff sence all the power is going to be going through it instaed of of half. Then again i never heard of a front diff breaking on a 5spd before. So hopefully its strong.

Are you asking how much torque the clutch will hold without slipping, or how much torque the trans. will hold without grenading? The method of actuation of the clutch (be it cable or hydraulic) doesn't enter into it.

How much torque are we talking about?

Genrally the hydralicly opertated trannie that subaru made are stronger than the cable operated ones. I want to know how much power the trannie can hold before it would grenade. Or how much power would it relibley hold. I know flex in the trannie case is a problem, subaru rienforced the new 5spd case pretty much throught out there line up.

How does the case flex? It's on mounts. I have never heard of a problem with a subaru manual that wasn't driver error. But then again, I haven't looked at any TSBs..just going on what I hear.
I don't know HOW the case flexes but it does, and that = tranny failure. Also I do believe that it is driver error that causes the case to flex enough to damage stuff.

I don't know HOW the case flexes but it does, and that = tranny failure. Also I do believe that it is driver error that causes the case to flex enough to damage stuff.

I could see bucking the thing enough so the tranny jumps off the mounts. I recently jacked my motor for an oil pan job and didn't see any bolt for a mount on the crossmember. I guess it's lucky they do flex, and not break or crack, given that they're aluminum.

Tell us more about the project. I'm guessing it's a mid-engine rear-drive kit car of some sort. Why else would you want a FWD trans.?

Yeah thats pretty much it, i would probley use a eg33 to power it. Does any one who strong the FWD trannie is???

well look at it this way. Subaru uses the stronger hydro clutch/tranny setups for its turbo cars, they also used a 4eat tranny which was as strong as the legacy turbo in all the svx's. There was never a hydro fwd tranny so they can't be that strong.

I dont know about that, lots of the trannie failures are partialy or complety caused by the extra stress of the AWD. So maybe the FWD trannie may be pretty strong. The weakest point in the FWD trannie would seem to be the front diff, did subaru upgarde the front diff from the AWD trannie?