Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hard wiring the fan to the battery?

hello all. i previously posted a thread about my soobie getting real hot while running. i know most of the old soobie has this problem and i would like to know some of the ways to fix this problem. Soon as i get enough money, im planning to buy new radiator(the one i have is 22 yrs old... older than me..) then i was thinking about hard wiring one of the fan directly to the battery and run a relay with a switch. so when the engine get hot, one of the fan will work automatically and other one, i will turn in on with a switch. im not sure if thats good idea or not. i would like to ask you guys before i screw up anything.

btw i have 1982 BRAT!!!! yay..

thanks

Dan

Lots of folks on the board have added a second fan and wired like you describe or maybe like this:

fanwire.jpg

I think its a good mod, but no substitute for a properly functioning cooling system. Check out the main components: radiator, H2O pump, thermostat, temp sending units, hoses. If something is suspect, I'd replace it. Soobys don't like to get hot. Good luck!

If your radiator is 22 years old, that is probably the reason why your engine is over heating. So, before you go rewiring the fan(s), install a new radiator and see what happens. These radiator get clogged inside the radiator, water still flows through them, but as time goes on, less and less of the radiator actually has water flowing through it, so there is less area to cool the water. To tell you the truth, I would be really surprized if your radiator is that old, has someone in you family owned the vehicle that long? If it truly is that old, it would have to hold some kind of a record for surviving that long.

If your radiator is 22 years old, that is probably the reason why your engine is over heating. So, before you go rewiring the fan(s), install a new radiator and see what happens. These radiator get clogged inside the radiator, water still flows through them, but as time goes on, less and less of the radiator actually has water flowing through it, so there is less area to cool the water. To tell you the truth, I would be really surprized if your radiator is that old, has someone in you family owned the vehicle that long? If it truly is that old, it would have to hold some kind of a record for surviving that long.

True dat! Replace that radiator FIRST thing! All the fans in the world wont keep you cool if your radiator is pluged up on the inside and rotting away on the outside :(

After you get that new radiator in for sure do up a switch on those fans. I think they come on too late anyways and most times the temp sensor in the radiator is fouled up anyway.

I replaced my radiator and that solved my problems. I replaced it with a dual core radiator. They are for the turbo models and it was about $150. $120 for single core. I think using distilled water will prolong your cooling systems life.I also wired up a fan because I removed my clutch fan.To be honest I rarely have the electric fan on, my car run so cool. I put a 15 degree cooler thermostat in my car and now it almost runs too cool. A new thermostat that opens at a lower temp would be your cheepest thing to try. Without the A/C my radiator gets better air flow also.I hope there is some useful information in there somewhere.

I would like to wire up my fan on an automatic temp controlled switch because I have forgot to turn on my fan a couple times when I climbed a hill.It didn't get too hot but ,Just to make it a little more idiot proof.I have the fan wired through the ignition so it turns on and off with the car so I can leave it on all the time.But i want my car to run at the most efficient temp. I'm not sure what the ideal engine temps is. I found a adjustable temp fan switch kit for $40.

To be honest I rarely have the electric fan on, my car run so cool.

Same here. I only need to kick on the fan when come off the highway to a stop light or have been climbing hills and have to come to a stop. Just tooling around town I dont need it often really.

That adjustable temp switch sounds cool. Got a URL ?

That adjustable temp switch sounds cool. Got a URL ?

I found it in a 4 wheeler magazine.The distributer was Performance Automotive Warehouse. Just look for replacment fans and, they will have a wiring set up that has an adjustable thermostat control. about $40

I have always installed a overflow tank to all of my subs, just a cup low and they tend to run a little hot. A cheep way to do it is to put a anti-freeze jug between the lower hose and the frame, and add a length of fuel line long enough to reach the bottom. It is a tight fit but it doesn't move even when you bounce around. I replace mine every year when I put in new anti-freeze because rubbing against the frame tends to put a hole in them. Hope this will help someone.