Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Smokey!!! out under the hood

ok.. so after my friend and i put new y pipe in my brat, i have noticed a smoke coming out under the hood. i dont exactly sure where it is coming from but im assuming that its from the y-pipe. It has some grease and oil on it and my friend is kept telling me that the smoke is from the buring grease and oil, but i just want to make sure its nothing too crazy. i was wondering if you guys can help me

thanks

Dan

I had a leaky axle cup that leaked grease onto the cat. The cup has a plug in the bottom that can come loose (and often seem to do just that on remaned axles).

But your friend probably is right. A bit of oil on the exhaust will smoke for a while after installation. I had the same problem with a y-pipe I used off an engine with a blown HG.

GD

I had a leaky axle cup that leaked grease onto the cat. The cup has a plug in the bottom that can come loose (and often seem to do just that on remaned axles).

But your friend probably is right. A bit of oil on the exhaust will smoke for a while after installation. I had the same problem with a y-pipe I used off an engine with a blown HG.

GD

Yep got a Y pipe from archemitis that was from an EA81 with a blown head gasket. Slapped it on my EA82. Man that thing stunk for a week I swear. Soon as she got upto temp the smells came rolling out.

Give it a day or two. Keep an eye on your oil level and coolant level. If you arent loosing any but still smoking I'd say its just yoru Y pipe. Make sure the headers are flush to the heads. Had that problem before and can be a stinky problem.

As GD noted check your inner CV boots. Could have a tear which tends to fling packing grease all OVER. Might be flinging some onto the cat.