Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will 2nd Gen BRZ Ever Happen?

not if i buy it first. lol but no really i'd rather have a 360 Sambar RWD than a BRZ RWD.. it would be really mean if they cancel Subaru's BRZ but not the Scion or the Toyota badged one that i've only seen once in my life.

Edited by Subasaurus

Suddenly, I've seen Four of those around here in my Town, one in mica Red, the other Dark Blue, the other is the Charcoal Grey on the Photo I shared in a previous post here, and lately a Pearl White one; all of them says Toyota because they were sold at the local 'yota dealer, since there's no Subaru dealer in Honduras anymore... 

YTD BRZ sales are down 34%. Kind of hard to make a business case out of those numbers. Of course the market is telling them what they want in the BRZ but they don't seem to care much. The BRZ isn't the Subaru halo brand, that is the WRX. And Subaru never really wanted to do the project but had to be dragged into it by Toyota.  I see more reasons why Subaru would justify dropping the BRZ than I see justifying them keeping it. Besides their Foresters and Outbacks are selling like hot cakes. Making more production room for those models probably makes more sense from a business point of view.

http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/786/1/subaru-america-inc-reports-record-june-sales

• 2 months later...

A neighbor of mine has a BRZ and the other day he took my ZL1 for a drive and I drove his BRZ. My immediate impression was that it handled as good as it looks but was WAY underpowered. I can see why a  huge percentage of owners and potential owners are all asking for the same thing, more power. So why would Subaru release this new "STi" BRZ with the wheels, aero etc. but deny the one thing that buyers wanted? The two best ideas we had was that Subaru didn't have the room to spare in their MPG/ emissions averages, or that perhaps Subaru and Toyota had some sort of contractual agreement that Subaru would not offer forced induction?

A short but nice response from Road and Track http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a7961/2015-subaru-brz-series-blue/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

still no turbo in them? gosh, they're acting like apple now, only add one thing to every version, i bet they have a turbo chaged ultimate brz somewhere and every year someone says only add this one thing for this year, and then they wonder why sales aren't as much as they expected...

Next-gen Subaru BRZ will be jointly developed with Toyota:

Subaru and Toyota have agreed to cooperate on developing and manufacturing the next generation of sport models BRZ and GT-86, said Yasuyuki Yoshinaga, president of Subaru.

So Yes, it seems like there will be a Second Gen Subaru BRZ.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The brz isnt supposed to be a musclecar. Its nearest competitor is the mazda miata. I agree though, a "sti" model is in order. Maybe not up to wrx performance, but turbo'd so the tuners can have thier way with it. I doubt wrx sti shoppers would be into the brz because of its tiny back seat.

Toyota in recent years hasnt been into "excitement". I doubt they allow subaru to outshine them in that department. Since thier aquiring our beloved brand, i've noticed subarus going completely mainstream (read boring) the last thind our brand needs is a rebadged Camry carrying the Legacy name.

• 2 years later...

Agree WRX platform is dated

Would like to see  BRZ  2  turboed and AWD  (STIed)  with electronic trickery in centre diff similar to  what  Prodrive did in the UK with the Prodrive P2 ( with Impreza STI engine drive train)

Edited by subnz

You'll never see an awd brz, the engine is too far back - part of the reason why it's rwd. The other reason for the engine being so far back is for weight balance front to rear.

Toyota and Subaru decided to let the market decided on forced induction since the wrx platform took off in the aftermarket department for go faster bits back in the day.

It'll probably turn out to have the same sort of lifespan as the Mazda mx5 if global sales keep up.

Cheers

Bennie