Ultimate Subaru Message Board

D/R swap into 98 Impreza, problems with codes p1101 and p1507 for neutral switch

Ioku

So I swaped a D/R ea82 trans into my 98 Impreza a few months back so everything has been working fine except I keep getting I check engine light and when I pull the codes I get a p1101 and p1507 I looked them up and both are Neutral position switch codes, this make sense seeing as I no longer have a nuetral position switch because there is nowhere to install one on the older D/R trans. This wouldn't be much of a problem if it wasnt for the fact the every once in a while when the codes come up the car goes into this limp mode where the ECU starts cutting injectors to protect the engine causeing it to have no power and run like crap. So I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem after this swap and if there is a way to fix it. I'm about ready to put a EJ trans back in the car because of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the later d/r 5spds on SPFI cars had the neutral switch, but the carbed cars didn't.

You could use a cruise control clutch pedal switch to wire in for the neutral switch. That would give the ECU the on and off signal it's looking for. The switch replaces the upper stop that the clutch pedal rests against. Usually they're a 4 pin switch, two pins for normally closed contacts and 2 pins for normally open. Use whichever set of contacts matches the behavior of the neutral switch.