Ultimate Subaru Message Board

conversion

i have an 88 dl wagon with spfi how difficult is it to change to mpfi ? i have looked and must be doing somthing wrong because i can't find anything i am sure i would have to change the ecu and maybe the intake also,are the injectors in the head or in the intake the car doesn't run now so it is no problem to swap.  it is going to be my winter car because my pickup has no traction in the ice and snow.

i have an 88 dl wagon with spfi how difficult is it to change to mpfi ? ...

Believe me, is like to change the engine + wiring Harness and ECU ...

and in such case, it is better idea to do an EJ engine Swap, in my own humble opinion.

Why? ... The injector ports are in the Heads on the MPFi, So the Heads are Different, management is Different, etc... Maybe only the mere Block is equal... it Doesn't worth all the effort and costs.

Kind Regards.

I agree I just pulled the multi port fuel injection engine out of my 86 rx

as of right now I am in the middle of doing my own EJ swap

the multi port fuel injection on a 1.8L doesn't give you that much more power

as I change the block to a non turbo block and eliminated the turbo it was much

more efficient but still not that much more power then the standard throttle body injection

These last 2 posts pretty much sum up what I remember seeing discussed about these sort of changes in the past.  If you want the challenge of doing the mods, I understand that.  If the desired result is more power, EJ will do that with more reliability, and it seems to me a similar amount of work.

• 2 months later...