Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new to me 77 and 78 gl wagons

sumoco

So after weeks of talking this guy down he finally agreed to my offer of an entry level AR and 500 bucks. Neither of the wagons have battery's or fuel pumps, both are 4 speed(top mounted starter) transmission and both are in honestly pretty amazing shape, white one has a little rust on the drivers QP, but nothing insane. Green one has some beautiful paint hidden under some grime and I can't wait to buff it out ANYWAY without further adue.my new projects

CCA09E4A-CF6D-4652-A934-2EE1812D563B_zps

I don't know, they make the car look like subarus attempt at Dumbo though, and Leroy, Im planning on making the green one mine, gonna swap in a 6 speed with an earlier wrx engibe in front of it, then lift it about two inches and throw some wider wheels and tires on it, gonna make it into the most badass sleeper there ever was. The white one I'm planning on taking the small amount of parts needed to complete the green one,get it running and then give it to my mom so I don't have to deal with fixing anymore of her new American made garbage

Nice plan with the wagons.

But. ANy WRX engine will NOT fit between the chassis rails - they are unfortunately all DOHC and these make them too wide.

However, an EJ22T out of a first-gen turbo Legacy will fit, as this is a SOHC engine and is narrower.

The six-speed may or may not fit with the 2" lift. It definitely won't fit without it.

The engine crossmember will need modding to fit the Legacy engine, or you could try and find an EA81T crossmember (rare) which still may not fit.

Gearbox crossmember will be custom (obviously).

Good luck man! Clean wagons anyway, if I were you I'd restore them both and get a clean EA82 wagon to lift/turbo (DOHC EJs and six-speeds actually fit)...

I know it's gonna be a ton of work, but I just got my dream job with better pay than I could of even imagined, I may go with the ej22t, will the ej20t not fit? I thought it was either just as wide or a little thinner

Jus ordered every version of the 70-79 workshop manual available on eBay, (chilton,Haynes, Clymer, and the Subaru service book) when they come I will make sure to PDF them all and post them in the workshop thread

Edited by sumoco
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet little wagons!! I'm excited for you! I just bought a 78 wagon and being a new-to-subaru owner, I am at a loss where to even begin!! I'd like to totally redo the suspension and upgrade to the weber carb, but that's all I have thought out (rationally). Good luck to you!