Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Baja Off Road Ideas

falconer315

I'm looking for some inexpensive ways to make my '05 Baja more off-road capable. It looks pretty well stock underneath the hood. I'd like to get a couple inches of additional ground clearance and some protection for the underbelly. Little to no money can be diverted from household bills for these projects. Any ideas?  

Unfortunately ezapar, when it comes to money, I'm always screwed. Comes with the territory of having 3 kids, 2 dogs, a wife, and one income. Can't always get what I want, but always have what I need.

Any ideas on things I could get out of the pick-n-pull that would accomplish what I'm looking to do?

The Baja is basically an Outback.   We use the suspension from those to lift regular legacys and imprezas.  When it comes to lifting the Outbacks, they tend to use springs to lift them.  There are also strut spacers available, but they'll also cost.  If you find something at pick and pull that will make it taller, then please share with us.   :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUBARU-OUTBACK-3-GEN-4CYL-F-R-30mm-RAISED-COIL-KING-SPRINGS-/150743521523?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item23190398f3  

http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/susp.htm

• Like 1

Find the picture of the napkin with the 2" lift specs on it it is floating around this site somewhere if it works for the ea81/82s rigs i see no reason it wont work for a baja/ outback but then again i havent tryed it on a outback yet and i dont know if the angles are the same ether it should at least work for the front i see no reason it wont work for the rear some test fitting and trial and error might be in order its just a body lift but its free and you only need a hack saw and a drill to fab the lift any more than 2" and your gona want lots of skill or lots of money

There are a couple different companies who make lift kits for Bajas. So its not impossible but if you don't want to spend any money then I wouldn't suggest lifting it as you would then need to make other adjustments to correct all the suspension geometry that you just changed.  Plus the biggest reason for lifting your car is to put bigger tires on it for even more ground clearance.  The ground clearance is needed for offroading which will cause you to spend more money fixing stuff that wears out faster or breaks.  I would say find a decent skid plate or build one and then find some more aggressive tires.  Those two alone will be easy and would be a good start.

• Like 2

Road signs would work, but you might have a hard time explaining how you obtained it to any law enforcement.  I know a few different companies like Primitive or Rallitek make them as they should be the same as Legacy/Outback ones.  As far as home made goes you would just have to find a piece of scrap steel or aluminum and cut or bend it to your needs.

Edited by Vegablade

My landloard got a half a dosen old street signs from the city workers i used one for a skid plate on my older bumper worked great took everything i through at it you might try asking around the city yard or ask the local road crew maybe they will kick down

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Vegablade. You could even get a coil insert style deal, not the best setup but great for a couple size bigger tires. an inch or so suspension plus bigger better tires will make a WORLD of difference you would be surprised where those cars will go with good tires. and with the way things are tucked in under the car a skid would make for a fun Baja! Find some used tires, do some trading or whatever u can. good luck!

The limiting factor for most light off roading for a subaru is ground clearance. Here are the options I can share that can improve that.

1. Cut 3/8 HDPE spacers for stock suspension. A big 3/8 inch HDPE cutting board from Wal Mart is about $14. Cut it out with a jig saw etc. You don't need to swap bolts on your strut tops if it stays 3/8 or less. 3/8 of an inch of lift for $14. and a little work.

2. Those 1 inch 5x100 wheel spacers on ebay. You can get a full set for $100. and they extend the wheel out allowing you to fit a larger tire without hitting the spring perches. Estimate about a 29-30 inch tire will clear the perch with them.

3. 2 inch strut top lift blocks. I think this should be the same as any 2000-2004 outback or legacy. SJR sells the full set for $300. but if you DIY you'd save most of that cost. Steel isn't that expensive.

4. Bigger tires - USED! I have not bought a new tire in about 10 years and don't plan to for a while. The used market on craigslist and other places will get you some great deals on used (Often barely so) tire sets. Be sure they are matched brand, size and wear so you don't hurt your trans. But shop for tire sets that will give you better ground clearance and a good off roadable tread pattern. I paid $100 a few weeks ago for a set of Goodyear wrangler AT 30 inch tires and a spare. $20. a tire!

Edited by AdventureSubaru
  • Like 1

The limiting factor for most light off roading for a subaru is ground clearance. Here are the options I can share that can improve that.

1. Cut 3/8 HDPE spacers for stock suspension. A big 3/8 inch HDPE cutting board from Wal Mart is about $14. Cut it out with a jig saw etc. You don't need to swap bolts on your strut tops if it stays 3/8 or less. 3/8 of an inch of lift for $14. and a little work.

2. Those 1 inch 5x100 wheel spacers on ebay. You can get a full set for $100. and they extend the wheel out allowing you to fit a larger tire without hitting the spring perches. Estimate about a 29-30 inch tire will clear the perch with them.

3. 2 inch strut top lift blocks. I think this should be the same as any 2000-2004 outback or legacy. SJR sells the full set for $300. but if you DIY you'd save most of that cost. Steel isn't that expensive.

4. Bigger tires - USED! I have not bought a new tire in about 10 years and don't plan to for a while. The used market on craigslist and other places will get you some great deals on used (Often barely so) tire sets. Be sure they are matched brand, size and wear so you don't hurt your trans. But shop for tire sets that will give you better ground clearance and a good off roadable tread pattern. I paid $100 a few weeks ago for a set of Goodyear wrangler AT 30 inch tires and a spare. $20. a tire!

No way that price per tire wasn't a april fools joke... That's a crazy deal

Ive gotten tires for free.Remember, *BIG* tires on subarus are the stock tire size on other 4x4s. You can find nice tires that people are giving away after lifting there vehicles or what not.

Still, for what its worth,the tires that are going on my 78 brat are gonna be BRAND NEW super swampers...bald or worn out all terrains suck in the mud.The wheelspin to momentum ratio is a bit lacking.

Ive gotten tires for free.Remember, *BIG* tires on subarus are the stock tire size on other 4x4s. You can find nice tires that people are giving away after lifting there vehicles or what not.

Still, for what its worth,the tires that are going on my 78 brat are gonna be BRAND NEW super swampers...bald or worn out all terrains suck in the mud.The wheelspin to momentum ratio is a bit lacking.

That I really wanna see pics of. Sounds badass.