Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Select Monitor actual mileage

I'm almost certain there are two internal odometers, one that's accessible with the select monitor, then another "hidden" one, but I've never used the select monitor tool, so I couldn't tell you how to access it.

It was the speedometer head that was bad. I replaced it and it works perfectly now. Problem is it says the car has like 10k miles on it. I don't want to car to be flagged at some point for odometer fraud (I don't know how possible that is), so I would like to correct it before NY goes to an inspection system that taps into the OBDII, which is happening in June.

Can I just turn the dials on the speedo head to correct the mileage?

• 3 weeks later...

I changed the odometer to read the actual mileage before the speedo head change ~138k + the actual mileage on the new speedo head ~13k so now it says ~151k. It was pretty easy to do.

I talked to the service manager at the dealer near where I work. I asked him if I could get the actual vehicle mileage out using the select monitor, and he said "Subaru isn't quite there yet". I find this really hard to believe, as the body control modules I worked on at Motorola in 1998 had the odometer in them, and I could read ( and write :brow: ) it relatively easily, and those modules only controlled things like daytime running lights, turn signals, etc. Granted, I was using proprietary hardware and software I wrote, but the tools available to the service tech must be able to at least read this kind of stuff. I am certain the mileage must be in a computer on the car somewhere, and it must be readable. Oh well, I will leave it like it is, knowing the mileage is higher. Hopefully the DMV doesn't know more about reading this information than the Subaru dealers do.