Ultimate Subaru Message Board

P0457 code- loose gas cap or evap purge valve (2005 OBS)

When filling up our 2005 Impreza Outback Sport (2.5 liter N/A engine, 5 speed manual) a couple of weeks ago I noticed the car has to crank a long before it started. I recall having a propblems on our '98 Legacy like that and it was the evap purge valve (mounted on the intake manifold). 

I thought this might be the same issue here, but after the next fill-up, the car started right up. My wife drove it about 80 miles today and told me she got another CEL (we just had to replace the upstream O2 sensor a few weeks ago). This time it was a P0457 (EVAP System Leak Detected Fuel Cap Loose/Off). I tightened the fuel cap and reset the ECU. Code gone for now, but when I started it it was hard to start again. Restarted again a few minutes later, and it it started fine.

I also noticed when I let off the gas (in or out of gear) the idle sometimes drops to 500 RPM or so, then goes back up to around 750 where it normally is (idle is smooth).

With the hard starting and this code, where would be a good place to start looking?