Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1979 Brat Dual Carb EA81 Swap

1979 Brat dual carb ea81 swap Build

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 HawaiiBrat

HawaiiBrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Hawaii

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:57 AM

Got most of the wiring, heater hoses, vacuum lines etc figured out and continued working on my headers. The engine is almost ready to start, just have to get a nut and bolt for the alternator, get some hose clamps for coolant lines and then I will have everything I need to wrap up the drivetrain. Also have almost the entire brake system back together, with all new soft lines, just have to get a piston compressor because my drivers side caliper won't fit on the rotor with the new pads.

The engine mocked up with coolant lines and vacuum lines, waiting for hose clamps for final assembly.

38848318905_7fa8a2ba91_z.jpgmock up by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Heres a photo of the headers. Still need to put another short length of pipe on the end of the headers and weld on a flange and bung for my wideband but I'm pretty happy with how they're turning out

39037669704_e04d7e1301_z.jpgHeaders by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Thanks for sharing! It's very inspiring to me as I have to do majority of what you have already done. Question, how did you go about smoothing out the dented wheel wells? Mine are also super dented and I would like to smooth them out like yours. Also, if you ever want to get rid of your old wheels, let me know! I want them!   ;)

Edited by HawaiiBrat, 11 February 2018 - 05:58 AM.

#77 LouKoff

LouKoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Saint Paul

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:32 AM

To smooth out the wheel wells I started using a hammer and dolly to knock out some of the big dents from inside the wheel well, but because there are multiple layers of sheet metal in place it is impossible to knock out some of the dents. For what was left after using the hammer and dolly I just went over with some body filler and sanded smooth. Best of luck with your project!

#78 LouKoff

LouKoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Saint Paul

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:04 PM

Got the carbs, distributor and alternator all mounted to the engine, got the tranny fluid, and break in oil in. Welded and wired up my wideband o2 sensor. Chasing down some electrical issues but it should be ready to fire up with a little more work. 

Dual carb in bay by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

o2 sensor by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

#79 Condor38

Condor38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:46 AM

Great work! Can't wait to see how it turns out. 

#80 LouKoff

LouKoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Saint Paul

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:39 PM

Little update, got it to turn over this past weekend but had no spark. Tried to diagnose the issue and I think I may have fried my ignition control module with my incorrect wiring at first. The ea81 sounded healthy when it turned over and it should be ready to run once I get the parts I need ordered, can't wait to hear it run for the first time.

#81 subyrally

subyrally

Trust your Turbo-Lust

• Members
  • 2,908 posts
  • frederick, md

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

love the build so far, cant wait to see it done.

#82 Subaru Scott

Subaru Scott

New User

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Cape Coral, FL

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:01 AM

DITCH that Nippondenso distributor, and get a Hitachi. That is what all the later 4WD models would have anyway. The Nippondensos will leave you walking, ask me how I know! The Hitachis did have issues with the shaft bushing wearing out, if the oil wasn't changed regularly, but the electronics are bulletproof.

Excellent work by the way, superb job!!

#83 LouKoff

LouKoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Saint Paul

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:21 PM

Finally got spark after getting a refurbed hitachi distributor and then had to chase down a few changes that needed to be made from switching to an internally regulated alternator on the ea81. Once I fixed my spark issue and set the timing, I got the ea81 to run for the first time, and surprisingly it started right up and ran pretty well for not touching the carbs at al. I didn't get a chance to hook up the radiator and heater core yet so I've only run it a few times for a few seconds. 

The rebuilt ea81s first time running. I still have to make the rest of the exhaust so it's running open headers

EA81 first time running by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1979, Brat, dual carb, ea81, swap, Build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users