Ultimate Subaru Message Board

coil spring ID colors - add yours please

OK guys and gals, counting on some contributions to build up some useful info on identifying the correct original coils in our EA82 series at least for starters.

Firstly, Subaru list their front springs as a part number for left and another for the right. The parts book does not appear to list the paint daubs/splotches simply sprayed on to the coil wire itself

I know the RX sedans rear coils are 1.0mm beefier wire than the FWD sedans of 85 / 86. The sedan rear coils are also shorter than wagon rear coils. Slip wagon coils in a sedan and you get a handling disaster waiting to happen.

I found 85,86 RX at least had a rather bright yellow paint splodge on each of the rear coils. Fitted same up to the rear of my 4WD XT.

The front of my XT already had the best coil spring and strut combo available from Subaru stable to get correct ride height.

They have been marked as from a FWD efi sedan - a Royale

As fitted on the front is BLUE splodge and a WHITE splodge on the right

As fitted on the front is BLUE splodge and a YELLOW splodge on the left.

I am remembering this to the grey cells as BLUE AND WHITE ON THE RIGHT

and BLUE AND YELLOW - well yellow and left both have an L in their English words

EA82 wagons have at least two different sets of factory rear coils. If I recall correctly the colour pairs were yellow and green, and green and pink - same colors and part numbers likely for rear coils,  Maybe wagons had an orange colour with green ??

The reason I have dragged this stuff up is I have swapped EA82 front struts to my EA81 Brumby - side for side.

Now, these MONROE struts have a sticker on them, facing out (when fitted correctly :( ) indicating where on a car diagram these struts should fit. I always thought it odd that the one for left was on the right side, one for right on the left !!

11090 is the left strut, 11089 is the right.

Part of my problems fitting up to the Brumby was clearance of the coils to the inner guard - resolved with a biggish hammer.

It is only now that I  have finished the right side I discover the oddity and reason that the left strut will fit the left side better than it does the right :)

Mind you, the mod to weld the brake hose bracket was easier when left strut is fitted to the right !!

I have now modded both left and right struts brake hose brackets to be a right handed strut - just for the moment.

I start to question as per usual - the last bastard to work on my sedan installing those struts must have been on some good drugs ! Start to question if I swap things around correctly, do I also need to swap the coil springs from side to side ??

I looks and finds the strut that was on the left has ...BLUE & WHITE from the RIGHT - so at least the whoever that did the coil spring swap got it correct, just not whoever did the install !!

Lucky me.

OK, so bit of a survey , so please go out there into the cold, crouch down and scrub your coils to reveal what sort of colour combos you have and let us know sedan, FWD 4WD or wagon and see if we can't complie some near useless info

Edited by jono

08/89 Subaru Loyale Wagon

(Struts)DriverFront=Purple and White on coil

(Struts)PassFront=Purple and Yellow on coil

DriverRear=Gray dot with Orange and White on coil

PassRear=Gray dot with Orange and White on coil

U.S. vehicle, Drivers Side is on the left

Edited by Subasaurus
  • Like 1

ah and many thanks for rolling with this query, interesting to see the yeLLow on the Right side - if both [actually count is now three cars] so far unchanged since birth would look like the white [ a smidge taller free sprung high ?)  goes with the driver side for the fronts and rears are identical to left and right.

Makes sense to have the rumoured taller spring with driver side, had heard taller was for the thrust of engine, driver and battery being on same side of a RHD Ford of the 60's & 70's . Rumours eh !!

Not seen a grey dot on black this hemisphere ?????

Edited by jono

ah and many thanks for rolling with this query, interesting to see the yeLLow on the Right side - if both [actually count is now three cars] so far unchanged since birth would look like the white [ a smidge taller free sprung high ?) goes with the driver side for the fronts and rears are identical to left and right.

Makes sense to have the rumoured taller spring with driver side, had heard taller was for the thrust of engine, driver and battery being on same side of a RHD Ford of the 60's & 70's . Rumours eh !!

Not seen a grey dot on black this hemisphere ?????

so the drivers side has a taller spring than the passenger? wait we can't go by driver or passenger, who are we talking about here, is the left front taller or right front? im guessing the left front is taller due to the rotation of the engine and trying to push down on the front left (my drivers side) and pulling up on the front right, and my battery is on the left, are RHD vehicles batteries on the right? also the gray dot meaning above the coil, as seen in this picture. Edited by Subasaurus

I think the engine roatation thing was someones theory 30 years ago - not thought about any further until same car compared LHD to RHD do we get a better theory :)  RHD gets taller spring on right. LHD gets taller spring on left. Once had a springs sales and fitting agent install some springs, upset cars stance, wrote and queried manufacturer to find the taller should have been installed on RHS, I borrowed tools to check for myself and correct. Don't believe anyone has worked on my cars since, except for exhaust and one tuner and he blew his chance too - GOOSE! Tried to apply V8 timing marks to an I6, set timing too high, let my car ping its head off on the dyno, scrawl across the invoice that compression was too high for street use .....fitted a grubby HT lead, passing it off as new. I took car home and set timing back to factory specs and was beautiful :)

The coding on the spring you have on your left, is installed on RHD market on the right, so could be described as drivers side spring, pax side spring just appear different sides of car depending on the market. As for the grey dot - I see thanks, we got coloured bits on the top mounts too, just not rcall the different colour

My EA81 all have battery on the drivers side/turbo side/right front corner when viewed from inside

My EA82 all have battery on passenger side/dizzy side/ left front as viewed from inside

Edited by jono
  • Like 1