Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clunking in right rear tire with sharp turns

Hi - I think this topic has been somewhat addressed before but I have a somewhat different take on it so I hope that it is ok for me to start a new thread.  I have a 2008 Subaru Impreza with just over 100,000 miles.  Within the last 2 days I have noticed a rhyhmic clunking in the right rear tire with sharp turns.  I feel like the swayback bars have been mentioned before.  I have three parts to this question.  Thoughts on the problem?  Thoughts on the cost?  Thoughts on if it is safe to drive or if I am going to end up in a ditch.   I have a great mechanic and I trust him but these are some questions that I need answered sooner than I can get a hold of him if possible.  Thanks! 

rear axle look for a torn axle boot in the back if one is torn u can put some grease in the torn boot  more specifically put the grease on the cv its self this should make the clicking stop for now until the grease comes back out again. the proper fix of coarse would be to replace the axle. be sure to check before buying parts.

Edited by sirtokesalot

Developed a clunking r rear 2005 OB. Inspected all components (I thought) but it was snowy and wet. Subie tech showed me play in r rear sway bar link. OK I thought that should fix it but the sound wasn't coming from there. As things dried out, I could see the r rear shock was leaking and rocking the car by pulling on the roof rack elicited the sound. It has gotten progressively worse and next week will have swaybar links and shocks replaced. Too much mess without a lift.