Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Questions About Useless Parts.. years or trim or packages?

im in no need to know what these are or in need to fix them but ive been wondering what they are or what goes there, any help is greatly appreciated! just theres nothing about these on the changes on EA82 topic, and if there is, theres no picture for me to know it was or what it used to be. all of these are from a GL wagon, except for the cruise control that comes from a Loyale.

ive attached 6 pictures,

1. first one is inbetween the foglight and steering wheel, no its not some future add on of ABS before subaru pulled the plug on the EA82 when the EJ series was introduced, i know it says ABS on the back of it but it also says ABS on the front grill, so its not ABS and ive looked at numerous GL-10's and non have the option or whatever goes there.

2. the next one is those clips that hold the headliner up, some wagons have an extra clip on the side of the middle back one, some dont, i broke mine when i was trying to fish the wire for the hatch light i added.

3. the next one is next to the tail lights, is this the switch to tell me if the hatch is open or closed? there on both sides, mine has never told me that the hatch is open in the dash lights, until i found a parts car and that one does.

4. the next one is of the cover that goes between the pedals and the rat nest of wires, some vehicles have them and some dont, did they all come with it and just not bother putting them back on? also the front skid plate, did they all come with it but on the first oil change they never put it back on?

5. next one is cruise control, why does the Loyale's cruise control look so ancient? i thought they came with the button that goes below the defroster on the left of the dash?

6. last one is of the seat belts, drivers side has this thing that wraps around to stop the seat belt while the other has a button, im guessing its been changed before, but whats the difference? or why?

thanks for your opinions and help, just things ive been wondering about.

(some images may be upside down, sorry about that, im on my phone)

post-57642-0-84926300-1427633483_thumb.jpg

post-57642-0-30435200-1427633496_thumb.jpg

post-57642-0-43400900-1427633510_thumb.jpg

post-57642-0-10666900-1427633523_thumb.jpg

post-57642-0-89959300-1427633545_thumb.jpg

post-57642-0-28261800-1427633556_thumb.jpg

post-57642-0-35440900-1427633565_thumb.jpg

1. GL optional fog light button would go there. The fog switch you have is fromthe center console of an XT.

2. Just a clip. Cars with trunk light don't need it as the liner is held by the light. Cars without light have the clip.

3. Not a switch. Just a bumper to help dampen the closing and assist in the "pop" open. Switch for the dash light is in the latch assembly in the rear gate.

4. They all had the cover....but most have been lost as they are a bit tricky to get back in correct. Skid plate was optional. I think Loyales didn't get them after 90

5. Cruise, you've got the dealer add on cruise from a DL. They did this for DLs because the steering wheel mounted buttons won't fit on the DL wheel. GL-10s where the only ea82s that got factory cruise. All others are dealer add on. Though The GL add on kit used steering wheel mounted buttons (and one in the dash for main "on" below defrost button")

6. Clip is to hold the buckle from slipping down to the bottom of the belt. The one with the sewn in button is from Loyales..the sliding clip type is older GL or DL.

• Like 1

1. GL optional fog light button would go there. The fog switch you have is fromthe center console of an XT.

2. Just a clip. Cars with trunk light don't need it as the liner is held by the light. Cars without light have the clip.

3. Not a switch. Just a bumper to help dampen the closing and assist in the "pop" open. Switch for the dash light is in the latch assembly in the rear gate.

4. They all had the cover....but most have been lost as they are a bit tricky to get back in correct. Skid plate was optional. I think Loyales didn't get them after 90

5. Cruise, you've got the dealer add on cruise from a DL. They did this for DLs because the steering wheel mounted buttons won't fit on the DL wheel. GL-10s where the only ea82s that got factory cruise. All others are dealer add on. Though The GL add on kit used steering wheel mounted buttons (and one in the dash for main "on" below defrost button")

6. Clip is to hold the buckle from slipping down to the bottom of the belt. The one with the sewn in button is from Loyales..the sliding clip type is older GL or DL.

1. did someone before me put that switch there? did subaru ever put that there themselves on some models? and would you have a picture of how this switch looks like?

3. thank you for letting me know where the switch is, i will replace that soon now that i know where its at.

4. i double stacked my skid plate, but could not stack the back piece of the skid plate, would stacking it make it any stronger or is this just additional weight? does it need the double skid? have you ever heard of one bending? they look pretty strong and im not sure if what ive done was completely useless.

Edited by Subasaurus

Ive bent skidplates, never tried stacking them. and my 91 loyale came w one, so maybe it was an option?

was your loyale manufactured before 12/90? because my 1990 loyale says 8/89 and even has the 2tone color on the body but it is a loyale, which i find interesting because i dont think there were any loyales with the 2 color paint, also how did you bend the skid plate? ill make sure to not try that lol

These cars are 25~30 years old. Lots of stuff likely to been done. Skid plate and 2 tone on Loyales would have been a dealer added option but probably done later in there lives. Possibly by the first or second owners as upgrades.

These cars are 25~30 years old. Lots of stuff likely to been done. Skid plate and 2 tone on Loyales would have been a dealer added option but probably done later in there lives. Possibly by the first or second owners as upgrades.

you wouldn't have a picture of the switch though? ive searched on google and even non related things like different dashes or steering wheels to see if i could get a view of the switch and they all have that cover on the left of the steering wheel.

I had a regular GL that had the factory steering wheel mounted cruise control buttons. It was an 89 Touring wagon. But my current 90 Loyale has the same as above.

Dealer added. But using the steering wheel mounted buttons like the GL-10.

The big difference in the 2 systems is that the GL-10 uses a vacuum pump, while the dealer add on (made by FoMoCo, ford btw) uses a large round reservoir told hold engine vacuum for the system.

But both use the same buttons on the wheel/under defrost. The "DL" (later Loyales)system however use one panel to the right of the steering wheel for all buttons. Probably originally designed because the DLs different steering wheel.

Dealer added. But using the steering wheel mounted buttons like the GL-10.

The big difference in the 2 systems is that the GL-10 uses a vacuum pump, while the dealer add on (made by FoMoCo, ford btw) uses a large round reservoir told hold engine vacuum for the system.

But both use the same buttons on the wheel/under defrost. The "DL" (later Loyales)system however use one panel to the right of the steering wheel for all buttons. Probably originally designed because the DLs different steering wheel.

thats one detail i could never figure out! it said Ford or FoMoCo, can't remeber now but its on the 3way check valve and i was like thats strange.. guess a check valve is a check valve but also found it on my donor parts car and i was really confused then.. thanks Gloyale!! you really know your stuff..

...The ABS you saw on the piece denoted the type of plastic it is, not that is was meant for where the ABS Sytem controls/lights/what-have-you mount.

Exactly, see:

~► http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile_butadiene_styrene

By the Way, this:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=15672

Is where the Manual Choke is, on the models that had such Feature.

I've seen manual choke on the LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) Specs EA71 Loyales.

Kind Regards.

Exactly, see:

~► http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile_butadiene_styrene

By the Way, this:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=15672

Is where the Manual Choke is, on the models that had such Feature.

I've seen manual choke on the LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) Specs EA71 Loyales.

Kind Regards.

so its not a foglight switch? so what about my foglight switch that "comes from an XT"?? was it never suppose to be on my 89 GL wagon? and thats pretty cool, to have a choke.. so i guess theres nothing else that can go there except downgrading? Edited by Subasaurus

so its not a foglight switch? ...

You can see the Choke symbol on the lever that fits the place, in this Photo:  

92145.jpg

... so what about my foglight switch that "comes from an XT"?? was it never suppose to be on my 89 GL wagon? ...

It could come on any GL or DL as a Dealer Option Fog Lights.

Follow the link below, for further information & Photos:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/114962-rarest-old-school-subaru-part-or-option/page-12

Kind Regards. 

You can see the Choke symbol on the lever that fits the place, in this Photo:  

92145.jpg

It could come on any GL or DL as a Dealer Option Fog Lights.

Follow the link below, for further information & Photos:

~► 

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/114962-rarest-old-school-subaru-part-or-option/page-12

Kind Regards. 

ohhh... those automatic fog light covers are veryyyy cool! thats very interesting, also howcome the XT foglight switch wount fit in correctly, only upside down, i see in the photos the dot is suppose to go up but no matter how hard i try, mine goes in flawlessly upsidedown but not the correct way lol, thanks for all your replies, im learning alot of these details no one cares about!

About the foglight switch.

It may be due to it being designed to fit in the center console of the XT/XT6, and not the dash.

Don't know for sure on that, but it's my thought on it.

May be possible to flip the rocker part of the switch over though.

Not sure on that either.