Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying NOT to cry over smashed XT.

Just want to share my pain with someone who will understand. Yesterday, brutish 2002 Cadillac (with help of owner) smashed into rear of my 86 XT Turbo 4WD. XT sitting at stop-light was pushed into 2004 Chrysler. Caddie never even applied brakes..............she said she "fell asleep", slammed into XT (Cop said she was probably doing 45). Trunk lid pushed up, right rear quarter jammed into right door (bent frame). Tail pipe flew off, muffler bent down. Insurance man says is probably totaled. Now the good news............. My 7 year-old is "better than OK". I have some pain in neck! We survived. I know I owe it to Subaru....... Now, where can I find another one? This accident was not my fault and I just want my OLD car back. They will send it to the graveyard, pay me some piddly amount and where will I find a replacement?

Thanks for listening.

Linda

Very glad to hear no one was hurt, altho sometimes it takes a few days for more symptoms to arrive. Real sorry about the XT also. If you keep an eye on the Marketplace, someone is bound to be selling, or know someone that is.

Women once hit me at a when i was stopped at a light my friend was in the car, he complained of neck pain I said i'm ok, well the next day my neck hurt REALLY BAD. I got nothing for it, my friend got 500$ because the fire department came and all that stuff and checked him out. She hit us going over 40mph. (didn't do anything to our car) Gotta love the volvos with the 50mph bumpers.

Lotus Elise PRETTY............ but, being lightweight, how does she hold up in a smash-crash? Maybe I could add sheetrock to the bare studs in my house for the rest of what the bad neck could bring?????? Not to mention extremeties going to sleep (tingling, numbness)!!!!!

Linda

really sorry to hear that. i once got rearended in a 1998 ford windstar, cop and by-standers said he was doing about 45-50 no breaking, he slammed into us, tried running, then was cut off and stopped. then he came and asked us if we were ok. :rolleyes: he was uninsured, so we got crap, except for a fixed car.

get whatever you can out of her, because she most likely is insured, her car will be fixed or paid off, and all she'll get is a ticket. and if they total out your car, you wont get ish, so try and get some sort of medical, or a real settlement. i hate that kind of crap the most, they view our 20 year old cars as crap so. argggggh.

hope the best for you.

tyler j

I doubt the Lotus would be any worse than an XT. And being a mid-engine, it would probably hold up a little better in the rear.... especially with that fat celica GT 6 in it. Considered by many to be the best handling car IN THE WORLD. And with a toyota plant under the hood churning 190 HP on a car weighing 1700 lbs.....

Price for an 04 was right around 42k I think...

GD

Thanks all for the good vibes.

Turbone.... Agent did advise I go to Dr. I will Monday. HER Ins. is same as mine!!!! I wonder what will happen as they fight amongst themselves?

Subawoohoo.....that is exactly what I am upset about. Old car, I love, being sent to graveyard. Once the frame is bent, I have heard, can't fix it right anymore. At least it protected my most loved possession (my young son).

General Disorder....Lotus SOUNDS great! However, if I get anywhere near 42K, I will probably try to find old Subaru again and put rest in restoration of OLD house (built in 1906). Does the Lotus have a back seat? It really is pretty!

Thanks for all regards,

Linda

I being sued for $100,000.00 almost 5 year after I bumped someone. It bent their tail pipe when it hit my bumper! That was the damage!

The statue of limitations is 5 years and two weeks before the deadline I get served!

Hummm!

Someone wants money?

so sorry to hear about your xt, so very happy that you and your child are ok. people need to toss pride out the window and pull off the road and take a nap when they get tired. did the engine survive the impact with the car in front of you?

Dealership.... hhhmmm - there's Lotus dealerships in most major cities. We have several here in Portland somewhere. They are considered "exotic" cars (strange, since they are british, and not very expensive), so dealerships are usually a combination of Lotus, and some other companies...

Try here:

http://www.mycar.com/research/car_cities/default.asp

Back seat.... well there's an engine back there.....

image4.jpg

GD

Sweet82, that right there is bs, with a capital b and s in bold print, underlined!! i hate that crap, there is no reason why that kind of suit should still be allowed, the judge should just through that stupid case out. (from what ive heard so far)

its like those people at mcdonalds who spilled HOT coffee on themselves and sued, or the guy who robed someones house, got hurt, sued, and then won! its just stupid, and judges should really start throughing out a lot of these cases because of money hungry slobs. in linda's (im guessing) case, she should sue, accordingly that is, because bacically the sleepy lady will get off scott free, while linda most likely got hurt, (give it a few days) her son almost gets hurt, and her car gets destroyed (mostlikely.) thats like falling, hurting your back, then selling your car for a few dollars. you gets nothing!! same in her case and the sleepy lady (better be insured), gets her car fixed or her new one and her insurance pays linda a measly couple hundred dollars, what the car is "worth." this kind of crap really pisses me off.

im surprised you aren't suggesting a wrx or sti, its got a back seat, its cheaper, nearly as quick, more daily driver friendly, and better handling *on varied terrain ;)

my dad used to own a 1969 lotus europa, which was basically the early precursor to this car. 1200lbs, but only 70hp. It could apparently pull in excess of 1g in the corners.

Sure - I understand the utility of a WRX for certain things - the Elise was not designed to compete with it in that respect. However - for rally-x (assuming I could afford one, or find a replica), I think I would have to show up to the local track with a Lancia Stratos :brow:. One of the original Marlboro cars perhaps? If not that, then a tuned 4WD justy.....

My taste in cars leans a bit toward the rare and weird.... or just plain shocking. Thus my lifted Wagon, and my Brat (which is going to go lower I think....).

I don't want what others have - I want what they can't have.

GD

Sorry to hear about the XT, but glad to hear your Son is okay.

Really should see Dr. about your neck. I have whip-lash myself from an accident many many moons ago. The longer it goes untreated, the worse off your going to be. Was many years with mine before I finally got treatment started, and it's basically to late to get my neck back to "normal"..

Would suggest calling Insurance Agent, tell them about it, then go see DR.. Myself, I would go see a Chiropractor. Medical Dr's., mostly just want to prescribe drugs and therapy for spinal injuries, Chiropractors work on the problem itself.

Whip-lash is a good "I'll sue" injury, 'specially if you really have it, and aren't trying to "fake it" as some try to. Sounds to me as if you do have it. Numbness and tingling are some of the early warning signs of it. Neck stiffness, dizziness, loss of use/weakness of arms (a temporary symptom), are just a few of the others. I can't drive with both hands on the wheel anymore. If I do, both arms will more or less instantly go to sleep. No warning there, just gone. One or the other hand on the wheel, no problem. Both hands, suicidal.

Get thee to a Dr..

Good luck

Sweet82, I agree with Subawoohoo, IT's BS. If they can wait that long, they really shouldn't have a claim. I'm not the sue happy type I just want what's fair. A car like mine and of course the medical bills taken care of. I will be going for xrays today or Monday at the latest. Insurance has already ordered a rental car for me and they should be bringing it today! Subrally, the engine is still good just bent the bumper and the grille thinghy underneath, but again frame is bent in front too. Had this been any other car the size of an XT, I'm convinced it would be an accordian today!

Pain is worse today of course, I have appointment on Wed with my Chiropractor and my Son is going too just to have him checked. Oh...the Lady that fell asleep at the wheel has same insurance co. as me. I wonder how this will play out?

Thanks again all for the concern.

Linda

Well, the way its going to play out is the person that hit you from behind is either going to be cancelled or thier rates will go up. Then they will offer you some ridiculess price for your car. This has happened on a few occasions to others from the Board. You need to go out and get prices of your vehicle with all the options and the best condition, to show them the actual cost of your car. Dont take anything less then what you think its worth (within reason, bluebook and in perfect condition)

Hey Turbone, Kelley Blue Book RETAIL is 2095. I haven't found ANY subaru listings for 1986 at all. The cheapest so for for any Subaru is 1,850 for a 1992 Legacy Wagon fully loaded. I'm thinking I might go that way? My Suba was not perfect bodywise. Clearcoat was beginning to peel! Bottom line is...............I need a car. MY Car. Am driving now a Ford Taurus(rental), It's OK, but I don't like it one little bit. I will have the rental car until Insurance writes check for XT.

Linda

Hopefully you have some pics on its best day(s). You will need to show these to your Agent (or however). I wish some of the guys that have been thru this before(Bratsrus1, and a couple others) would pipe up and give some better details. But considering how long this post is staying on top, I'm sure one of them is going to see it this weekend. The point is to get top $ for your car, so you will have the money to replace it with one of equal or better value.