Ultimate Subaru Message Board

S. OR camp/trail run. Sep 19-21

Guest Adam N.D.J.

Guest Adam N.D.J.

Starting a new thread for this. To see who all would be interested and keep track of things.

I'm setting up a camping, and trail run on the 19th of September. It'll be a weekend event, nothing really too special, jes get out and get some mud and dirt on your rig. It'll prolly be the first time that the Brat actually does anything hardcore off the pavement (sand isn't hardcore in my book). There will be either rock crawling and water crossings, or mud and hill climbs, depends on which side of the Valley is decided on. That also depends on who all is going to come too. If there are going to be mostly stockish rigs then we'll go east, if the Hatch Patrol come down here, then I gotta take ya'll to the west. Lemme know if I should start getting really serious about this, or not waste my time. Either way I'm taking that Brat out. Cause as Ken points out all the time, all those pics look good in the driveway, but real action shots are where the money is. (I've added some action shot to my gallery). Catch ya Laters.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest SOOBME

I think I'm in, but I'm not sure yet. I would need a snorkel and some water proofing by then, that I think I can do. But I'm going to set the time aside NOW, so that I don't run into a time off/free problem;)

Guest SOOBME

OK! I'm definatly onboard now. I will be bringing my 2 boys with me 4, and 7. Let me know what the camp site is like so I know what type of gear to bring:D

Guest Adam N.D.J.

Still need to get some scouting done. I'm thinking that I'll prolly make it out next weekend. Gotta play ARMY this weekend. Although it is only for Friday, so I might be able to make it out on Saturday. Gonna get a picture of the good stuff. Catch ya Laters.

Guest Adam N.D.J.

So any of the northing boys (or girls) interested? Or is this jes going to be a meet of the Southern Oregon Subaru Club (How many members do you have to have to classify as a club anyways?). I know it's a bit of a drive to come down from Seattle, but maybe the Portland people? Catch ya Laters.

Guest SOOBME

What about the new guy on the board from K-Falls? ( I don't remember his name:rolleyes: ) He is close, we need to get intouch with him too.8o

Guest Adam N.D.J.

Oh yeah, crimefyter, haven't seen im round in a while now. Yeah, K-falls ain't too far off, only like an hour or so from Medford. The MORE the BETTER is my phylosophy. I've run into a few guys round the GP area that are pretty interested in wheeling n stuffs. Catch ya Laters.

Guest SOOBME

So, what time and day are we heading out? U find the spot U want to take us to yet? If we are heading out on the 19th (Fri.) I will not be able to head out till 5ish.

Guest Adam N.D.J.

I don't plan on leaving my house till about 6. I did some scouting around (ironically, in an IH Scout) Whoo boy have I got news. One of the IH's got stuck (Scout II), and two made it through the main water crossing. The two that made it ended up dieing out a little up the trail due to water in the dizzy. The ground under the water is a combination of silt and large rocks. There are two ways into the camp site, (which is on the bank before the water crossing) there is an asphalt road that leads to a dirt road that's about an 1/8th mile to the site. And then there is a power line road that'll take about an hour or so to get in. SO if we leave about 6ish from my place, we'll get to the main road about 7-7:30ish, and then another hour down the "trail", so set up camp about 9ish, eat, hang out, yada yada yada. Then get up in the morning, cross the creek and follow the trials out. I haven't gone too far, so it will be a little fun heading into the unknown, then we can either find a new campsite, or head back to the old one. There is at least a couple hours of trail running at the one site, and prolly another couple hours at the other on, I've heard that they interconnect, but not too sure where or how. It'll be fun though. Catch ya Laters.

Guest SOOBME

OK, your'e house @6:00PM on Fri. 9/ 19? That will work for me:D

I may be getting my down pipe before then after all, but I will have to wait and see8o

Guest Adam N.D.J.

Yeah, we'll prolly take off from my place round 7ish, gives us about an hour to an hour and half daylight to get into the campsite and set up. It's about an hour drive out there, so there prolly won't be much wheeling that evening. Although we could go check out a short strip of trail that heads from the campsite out to the main road, then hit up the powerline trail and cross trails the next day. How are things looking for you Brian? There is quite a bit of space in the campsite, barring no one else is down there when we get there. So the more the better. There will prolly be some Scouts out there so if things get too bad we can get a tug from them (although looking at the last experience, it might be the Soobs doing the tugging. Catch ya Laters.

minor edit: Here is the coordinates for the place if anyone has a good map program, hope I've got these right.

Your looking for the rough and ready creek, and seats dam. It's near the illinois valley airport. CyL

Guest ThreeEyedBandit

I will see if I can get the time off of work, but my wagon will be out for a bit needing new front wheel bearings. I might be able to get it going by then, or if there are any open seats for myself and a friend I could get out there. If anything I can meet you guys out there saturday night.

CYA,

Matt

Guest SOOBME

If the 2WD and 4WD fron bearings are the same, I have a pair of spidels on the front of my beater that U could use if U need to. I will be all full up for the trip my self:( ( kids are riding along on this one)

If U want to use my spindels w/ bearings just let me know.

Yeah, the 2wd and 4wd's have the same front ends. So the parts will interchange, the only real difference between a 2 and 4 is the tranny and rear end. It's not too hard to do bearings once you get the hang of it. They are a ball bearing, not a needle like most people expect.

Sounds good. I'm hopeing to hear from 3eyedbandit, and the other guy. I want this to be a big outing. I've wanted to host a meet n greet thing in Southern Oregon for a LONG LONG time now, and finally something is comeing together. I'm loving it. ALthough I with that the Brat was coming together a lot faster.

Me and im trying to get Andrew to join us. I told him there's a spare seat in my car if he wanted to go.

Im planning on leaving Thursday the 18th from Sacramento, and that would put me in Grants Pass (or the area) late thursday afternoon or night.

Still need to do alot of work to my wagon 1st tho.

-Brian

Looks like we're going to go a different route. The one out in the Illinois would be ohkay, but nothing spectacular, once you go through the water crossing, it's just driving around on trails. We're going to go into Wimer, out past Rogue River, the trails there are more "technical", requireing you to pick good lines and whot not, plus there are 3 campsites to choose from, and many masses of trails. Plus stockers and low lifters will be able to run along, albeighit they need to be more technical with the lines.

OK, so do I still need to do all the water proofing before the run? ( I have other projects on the car I'd like to spend the time on if poss.)

I LOVE TECHNICAL TRAILS!!!!! It is soooo much fun to see just how tight of a line U can take, and then pull it off:grin:

Tony... if I were you, i would make some sort of snorkel or at least better protection for your intake. With that turbo sucking air in at a higher rate than normal, you want to make sure its protected and out of the way. Ive seen a lifted turbo wagon suck in some mud and water, and it wasnt nice.

I cant wait for this trip. Gotta do some suspension and diff work, but i will be in that area on Thursday the 18th.

-Brian