Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Resetting the distributor (help me fix my stupid mistake)

In an attempt to fix a timing issue on my car, I removed my distributor without marking how it was aligned when it came out. The Hanes manual said to point the rotor towards the #1 spark plug wire with the engine at about 0 degrees, but I can't seem to get the car started now. I would appreciate some advice (sorry for the total amateur mistake, really wasn't thinking)

Thanks!

Remove the drivers side outer t belt cover.

Lin up the engine to tdc with the dot on the cam pulley 45 degrees down and out. (4:30 o'clock.) this will assure that you are on compression stroke at tdc.

Now drop in the disty with rotor pointing at #1.

You didn't say which engine you have.  If it's an EA-82 the post from Gloyal is spot on.  In fact I just learned something new, but I don't have EA-82 anymore.    If it is an EA-81, thus, no timing belt then you need to figure out when piston one is at the top, it is either on compression or exhaust stroke.  (you can read up on how to figure which it is on)  Once piston 1 is on TDC (top dead center) of compression stroke you can drop in your disty with rotor point at #1 .  

and not a stupid mistake, we learn by doing.  You just helped yourself in creating a reason to bond with your roo. 

good luck.  

Edited by Indrid cold

yeah, yer second mistake was to not tell us which EA you have :)

that is easy fixed as well - just as well

one thing I always seem to stumble on - is follow manual directions when it comes to lining up dizzy dots @ TDC. One car and one manual many years ago the instructions were similar BUT was @ the static timing mark.

Dpends on what engine you have and if EA82 they have a few different dizzies, but essentially with EA82 the dizy body really only goes in one spot with the two M6 10mm headed hold down bolts sort of central in their slots, with the rotor pointing pretty much towards the firewall AND if you have #1 and not #2 on TDC, shift it a smidge to say 10 DBTDC before dropping the dizzy - and see how that goes. Could be slightly different to GLoyales 'structions.

If it is EA81 I can shoot some pics to help if needed

Either I am somehow misunderstanding, or there is something else wrong with the car. I lined up the 0 degree mark, with the dot on the drivers side cam gear pointed 45 degrees down to the right. The I inserted the distributor, with the rotor pointed towards the the #1 plug wire (basically straight back towards the firewall. The engine cranks but does not even attempt to start. I'll post pictures tomorrow. The car started and ran, albeit poorly, when I pulled the distributor, I have replaced the cap and rotor with new ones (the old rotor had over an inch of slop, which I figured was probably the cause of my rough running), but the plug wires are in the same places as before.

You can do what i did, turn the engine to TDC with the rocker cover off and watch the valves/rockers, both intake and exhaust valves should be closed at tdc on compression stroke. also if you have it lined up right and it wont start, make sure you are not 180 degrees off.

Are you sure the timing belts are/were installed properly? Turn the engine until you see three lines on the flywheel through the viewing port on the bell housing. When you have the notch on the viewing port lined up with the middle of the three lines, you can check the cam alignment holes to ensure proper timing. Drivers side should be 12 o clock and pass side should be 6. If all checks out then the above method for aligning the distributor should work.

Either I am somehow misunderstanding, or there is something else wrong with the car. I lined up the 0 degree mark, with the dot on the drivers side cam gear pointed 45 degrees down to the right. The I inserted the distributor, with the rotor pointed towards the the #1 plug wire (basically straight back towards the firewall. The engine cranks but does not even attempt to start. I'll post pictures tomorrow. The car started and ran, albeit poorly, when I pulled the distributor, I have replaced the cap and rotor with new ones (the old rotor had over an inch of slop, which I figured was probably the cause of my rough running), but the plug wires are in the same places as before.

This sound right.

But the rotor should point more towards the master cyl. Not straight back. It rotates a bit as you install

Also, and don't be offended, but did you hook up the disty wiring? Correctly?

Not offended at all, I moved the wires one at a time to the same position on the new cap, however, I suppose that doesn't guarantee they were in the right order in the first place. I'll check when I get home. #1 cylinder is the front passenger side cylinder, 2 is front drivers, 3 is back passengers, 4 back drivers?

you are correct on the cylinder locations.

The firing order is 1-3-2-4.    Starting with #1 on the disty cap wire nearest the firewall (points toward MC).

Then go counter-clockwise - plug that wire into cyl #3.

Continue counter-clockwise - plug to #2 .... then #4.

I think Gloyale may have been refering to the disty to coil wires.   Check those, also.

Not offended at all, I moved the wires one at a time to the same position on the new cap, however, I suppose that doesn't guarantee they were in the right order in the first place. I'll check when I get home. #1 cylinder is the front passenger side cylinder, 2 is front drivers, 3 is back passengers, 4 back drivers?

think I have seen cylinder location expressed as

3 boxer 4

1 boxer 2

radiator

L..you....R

does the dizy have a vacuum canister on its side?

It does have a vacuum advance. I tested it by sucking on the hose and it seems to be functional. I'll check the distributor to coil wires, they haven't been messed with since the car was running, but it's possible that I broke or damaged a wire while messing with the distributor. It very well could be the coil wire, because it doesn't even try to start, the best I've been able to get is a slight backfire when the distributor is set pretty far off from where I think it should be. We might just not be getting spark.

Edited by alaskaloyale

OK, so, just what does the inside of the dizzy look like ?

One module and can easily see the four pointed rotor thing on the shaft and its near conatct point fixed to the body of the dizzy

OR

two brown or black plastic covers covering stuff saying do not remove and can't really see reluctor and stator thingys?

I ask coz if you have first type, I may have some helpful 'structions to follow

Update! The car is fixed. I had the distributor dropped 180 off, I think because my timing belt were the opposite from where they should be. I put my finger over the spark plug hole and turned the engine till I felt pressure, put it at TDC on that stroke and dropped the disty and it fired right up. I set the timing to 8 degrees btdc at idle, which I think wasn't the right engine speed to set it at, but it's running pretty good. I'll replace the spark plugs and check the timing at 2k rpm over the weekend.

and will you mark it now for next time, or take some pics of timing mark, left cam wheel position, right cam wheel position, rotor position all at 8 DBTDC and post 'em up here for next person ?

Well done - you ain't the first , and not gonna be the last to do that common mistake

• Like 1

I'll see about getting some pictures on here. It won't be easy to get a picture of the cam wheel without removing the radiator, but I'll definitely snap some pictures of the distributor and timing marks and post them up here with a little write up when I get some time this weekend. Thanks again for the help guys.

• 2 months later...

Pics would be awesome here, any at all.

Since I did something nearly as stupid AND probably what you did as well, knowing how my brain farts go. :banghead:  :banghead:

See this thread also. 

THANK YOU for any assistance you may provide me.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/154333-tdc-missed-by-my-stupid-brain-ea82-mpfi/

Edited by Dinky26

Now, buy a packet of small electrical zippers different colours. Place one colour at the start and end of your spark plug wires. eg red = number one plug wire, yellow number 2 and so on. (thanks Jono for that tip) Mark the side of the disty where it is on the mount.

I had my disty out 180 degrees for 4 days on a lotus engine once. Rang a mate and he told me to swap the plug leads around and it roared. Took 1 minute to fix. Glad you got it right, thats what this site is all about and its a great community.

Tony

• Like 1