Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 EJ22 High Idle Suddenly

I have a '87 vanagon syncro with a '91 Legacy EJ22. Van idle after warming up will keep rising to 2,000 rpm. I cleaned the MAF, I IACV, and intake along with the PCV valve - they were all fine. I understand that a bad temp sender can do this and also vacuum leaks. I did remove the intake and reroute air cleaner but this should not have affected the idle as it started to display this high idle prior to this. This engine was filthy and neglected so I have been detailing engine bay and using a garden sprayer micro bursting water here and there to clean up engine grease and dirt deposits, looks great, but perhaps I dislodged a vac line or other - any thoughts on this issue? Thanks!

I had a similar issue on the 93 turbo wagon I bought  a few years ago with a blown up front diff.  Check the throttle cable and make sure it has enough slack.  The issue on mine was the idle set screw that isn't supposed to be messed with, was at some point.  It was just enough to cause the idle switch to open and the ECM saw it was off idle. It would only go back down to 2000-ish RPMs even if I blipped the throttle.  Not sure why it works like that but all I had to do was back the screw off a tiny bit until the switch closed (must use a multi-meter to check).  I dont recall which two wires it is.

I had a similar issue on the 93 turbo wagon I bought  a few years ago with a blown up front diff.  Check the throttle cable and make sure it has enough slack.  The issue on mine was the idle set screw that isn't supposed to be messed with, was at some point.  It was just enough to cause the idle switch to open and the ECM saw it was off idle. It would only go back down to 2000-ish RPMs even if I blipped the throttle.  Not sure why it works like that but all I had to do was back the screw off a tiny bit until the switch closed (must use a multi-meter to check).  I dont recall which two wires it is.

So, did you mean to say that even blipping the throttle would not reduce idle? I wonder how cable tension could have tightened if I did not touch it?

Hmmm . . I think I solved problem. I had pulled air intake, and pulled MAF to clean along with IACV and upon doing research, I discovered that I needed to reset ECU so disconnected Neg battery cable for 45 minutes and then started van up without touching throttle and let it idle for 15 minutes and turned off. A few hours later I took it for a good drive - high idle gone! For now anyway . . .  we shall see

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm . . . high idle back again -seems to be activated by higher temps outside even though temp gauge normal. Resetting ECU seemed to help but weather was cooler at the time. I did notice yesterday I was able to drop idle blipping accelerator so perhaps sticking IACV afterall - I did clean mine though it is definitely a early style IACV-maybe just worn perhaps???? Any thoughts? Oh, I notice that my high spped fan is also kicking in although temp gauge is not reading anywhere near hot hot . . . another mystery -Help!

• 1 year later...

i had this prob with the 2.2 that is in my loyale, sounds about the same anyway. . . is your ecu throwing a code at ya? mine code was 25 although it is a 94 2.2 if that matters. i did the sea foam in the air intake hose (check vids on line) and it straightened right out. luckily because the aicv looks hard to get off for a thorough cleaning. smooth runnings and good luck!