Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 SPFI Wagon Running Like Crap

Ok I just bought an 89 GL Touring Wagon, i was hoping it was turbo but it wasent and i really wanted a sube, so i bought this car for $100 it runs kinda, but it has NO power, it has some damage to the front end and the radiator is Messed up and the Hood is toast (the hood from my GL-10 is the same color and everything so thats taken care of. and it needs a windsheild,

But i need to know what could be making it run like crap i had to drive it in 4WD LO just to move it to my friends house, any ideas?

Thanks

Id start up front where the accident was. Fix that radiator GOOD (prolly replace it). Last thing you need is to over heat her. There is any number of things that could have happend from a front end collission. Go over everything up front and if it stil lruns like crap lets start narrowing it down.

peace

First and easiest place to start is do a power balance test. take a test light, ground the clip, and slip the point of the electrode between the boot and the wire, til it shorts out, for each ignition wire. Listen to the engine RPM, when you short out the wire, the engine RPM should drop, if it doesnt, or does less than others, then you know that cylinder is not adding power to the engine. take some time to look at things... if there are 2 wires that show no RPM drop, try swtiching them, if both wires go to one side of the engine only, maybe that timing belt got smashed or is broken, perhaps a blown head gasket. If its just 1 wire, check things like a damaged wire, compression check in that cylinder, or the spark plug could be fouled, etc...

Well anyway, thats a place to start

-Mike

Well Tomorrow The Radiator and Hood will be replaced as with the cosmetic problems, i checked both timing belts and they are is good shape they both looks almost new, but maybe they are not timed right. is there a Coolant Temp Sensor on SPFI cars like on the turbo's? cause it kinda feels like my turbo did when i was having probs with the temp sensor

Thanks for the help.

anything fuel injected (non CIS) is gonna have an ECT (engine coolant Temperature sensor). And if that was the problem, it would either run really badly (lean) only when cold, or run rich when warmed up. Usually when it fails its the rich scenario, causing a car to fail smog, etc. Timing belts off is a probable cause. Iginition timing is also a possibility, so take a good look at the destributor. Another thing to look at, is if the exhaust is plugged up, the car will appear to idle ok, but once you accelerate just act like a slug. More 2 cents for ya

-Mike