Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Paddle Shifter and Manual Mode Question

Hello folks...

Re: 2015 Outback, I have a question about the paddle shifters .

I realize that the way I shift into manual is to move the shift lever to the left from the D position, then use the paddle shifters.

However, when driving in automatic (D) mode, if I pull the right or left paddle shifter, the transmission will access manual mode but only for about ten seconds, and then it flips back to automatic. 

The owners manual says "While driving with the select lever in the “D” position, if you change gears by operating the shift paddle, the gear position indicator light illuminates and shows the current gear condition."

I can also shift to different gears during the ten seconds or so the transmission "shows the current gear condition" but then everything switches back to automatic. 

What is the logic behind this?  Maybe an ultraquick/emergency way to engage manual until one can move the gear shift lever to the left?   

Thanks...

wankel,

Yup! That's how it works in my 2012 as well.

In Auto mode I frequently use the downshift paddle when braking. If mmediately after braking, I accelerate, I can then upshift through the "gears" as well.

If downshifting to a complete stop in Auto mode, and being at a stop for 10 seconds or so, the CVT then goes back into D.

Put the shifter into Manual Mode and you will have to do all of the gear shifting, down and up.

In Auto mode, you can do both, but accelerate at a low rate and it will shift into D on its own. The same happens when down shifting. Stop for a brief period and it will shift to D.

Yours is operating normally. Enjoy!