Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lightbar and Lifting a 95' Legacy L Wagon

catunderthestars

So i just got my first subaru today and i wana find out good websites to buy off road and rally parts. Also i find more info on lifting it with a brush guard and installing some hella lights and a bar. Thanks!!

What is your intended purpose of the car?There is a difference between rallying and offroading. Rally is driving as fast as possible on narrow roads in the middle of nowhere,sanctioned or otherwise. Offroading is going slow(ish) over boulders,streams,logs,etc...The two worlds are mutually exclusive.For instance,because rallying is done at higher speeds on significantly better roads the suspension is firmer and has less travel than an off road suspension.Also what is your subaru?there are many different subarus stretching back along time.The subaru in my sig is an 81 hatch with significant mods,while Prwa101's is a much newer,but still old forester.

What is your intended purpose of the car?There is a difference between rallying and offroading. Rally is driving as fast as possible on narrow roads in the middle of nowhere,sanctioned or otherwise. Offroading is going slow(ish) over boulders,streams,logs,etc...The two worlds are mutually exclusive.For instance,because rallying is done at higher speeds on significantly better roads the suspension is firmer and has less travel than an off road suspension.Also what is your subaru?there are many different subarus stretching back along time.The subaru in my sig is an 81 hatch with significant mods,while Prwa101's is a much newer,but still old forester.

It says 95 legacy in the title :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Likewise. There's not a large off road subaru crowd compared to jeeps, toyotas etc. so there's not much in the way of aftermarket stuff for such purposes.

Most of what's out there was built a piece at a time. A few guys on here manufacture and sell lift kits and a few other pieces. But beyond that you gotta get creative. My roof rack and light bar was made from gridwall and a bedframe purchased from craigslist. Others have made them from futon frames, and other scrap. Bars made for other vehicles can be adapted. Thule and yakima offer some roof rack and bolting options for stock subaru.

Easiest lift as mentioned is to put some 98-08 forester or 96-99 Outback struts and spring under your car (Add a lift spacer if desired) and then upgrade to about a 27 inch tire. Will give you good ground clearance for trails and light off roading. I drove a 97 Impreza for years with such a set up and it will take you on all but the toughest stuff.

The AWD is not great for true mudding and crawling. There are ways to get there but most of the stuff described can be accomplished with the set up mentioned and some good driving experience.

Welcome! And be sure to start a build thread in the members rides section when you get this project going!