Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 Automatic Tranny swap for a 5 speed manual with push button 4wd

I just bought a 1984 GL Wagon.  It's everything that I have been looking for but it's an automatic.  I really wanted to put a 5 speed manual with push button 4wd.  Is that possible to do without having a bunch of conversions?  I am just wanting advice so I can start trying to set it up.  Thank you so much.

post-52523-0-68219000-1428041037_thumb.jpg  

This has been covered soo many times befor if you do a search you will find everything you need to know. Heres one thread that I got with a 5 second search, there is alot more out there.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/65366-complete-recipe-ea81-auto-manual/

I am going to tell you if theres nothing wrong with your trans then this is alot of work that will keep you from driving your car.

• Like 1

I swapped my auto for a dual range 5 speed in my 84 turbo wagon so that we could tow it behind our motor home. It was a lot of work to do it, as I fabricated the transmission mounts, shift linkages, and modified the petal box. If you still want to do it look for a donor car of the same year, or Jerry makes a kit to use the dual range trans.

• Like 1