Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale wagon rear seat belts query

I saw recently a post in the for sale section showing a pic of the rear inside of a wagon and the rear seat belts stick up out of the trim.

Does anyone have any better pics of these & how they're attached?

Are they retractable?

I'm also curious to hear how they sit on the shoulder of rear passengers.

The rear seat belt in Aus are bolted to the C pillar and the retractable reel is inside the trim on top of the rear wheels. This system usually means that the seat belt doesn't touch the shoulder of shorter passengers, which isn't that good an idea in an accident.

Over here the over the shoulder belt for rear passengers came up out of the trim in 88,89 models. (Before that the rears had lap belt only) This setup used a keyhole slot in the regular lap belt buckle. So one had to attach the lap belt, then hook the non retracting over the shoulder belt to the lap buckle. Really annoying when folding rear seat back up and down. Also hassle to connect and adjust. Especially for children, who are the only ones it will fit anyhow.

In 90, they moved the mounting to above the rear glass, with the retractor above the rear fender well. This is a much better setup in my mind.

hmmm, any pics of the post 90 setup?

I'll get some pics of the ADM (and I suspect most of the world) setup with the reel on top of the rear wheels, with a loop point halfway up the C pillar (if anyone's pulled this trim you've prob seen the hole in the metal)

hmmm, any pics of the post 90 setup?

I'll get some pics of the ADM (and I suspect most of the world) setup with the reel on top of the rear wheels, with a loop point halfway up the C pillar (if anyone's pulled this trim you've prob seen the hole in the metal)

Post 90 is as you describe the ADM to be.

It is only the 88/89 that have the weird "low shoulder" key hole 2piece setup

There is no threaded boss on the upper rail on pre-90 models. So no retrofit

Edited by Gloyale
  • Like 1