Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 speed single range transmission for Brat?

The bell housing bolt patterns are different from a ea71, ea81, and ea82. The fat case bell housing came with the later ea71 cars 79-88 2nd gen body cars. They were the bottom models with no options. There are a few 3rd gen cars in the states that came with ea71's that have fat case bell housings too. I meant was it would be easier just to find a ea81 and bolt a 5 speed d/r to it. You already have 2 holes for shifters in the floor you might as well use them both.

Hey mellowalmond I took my motor and single range out of my brat this last weekend and was going to refurbish both and reinstall....

Then I thought, why would I put this puny motor and transmission back in just to drive with 60hp?

Heck with all that...i'm putting an EJ22 and dual range 5 speed in mine and making it a blast to drive!

Both transmissions are front wheel drive until you put them in 4wd. As for models it really depends on what country you live in.`In the USA d/r's came in 4wd gl's and gl-10's while dl's and loyale's had the single rangle push button. The rx's had a 5 speed awd transmission with center diff lock and lsd rear end factory. I've heard some of the gl-10's came awd too but only had the center diff lock but haven't seen one yet that wasn't auto. The d/r is really nice for off road use but if your planning not to go off road the single range is fine. I have driven a 4 speed s/r, 4 speed d/r's, 5 s/r's, and 5 d/r's. My choice is the 5 speed d/r, the trans has less problems than the 4 speeds and has better gear selection.  I don't know the individual ratio's but 4wd low is really nice to have if you ever need it.

If I understood good:

The s/r has a push button on the gear lever to select the AWD mode.

The d/r has some lever to select the 4WD mode.This lever is located in the front of the gear selection lever,as on the 1st generation 4WDs ???

In which models I could find D/R 5speed systems?????

Is it possible to use the 5speed D/R 4WD gearbox as FWD ????

You think that the 5 speed D/R gear graduation is ideal for gravel road rallies(competition use)????

Is it possible to see the gear ratios of the two ranges of the D/R 5speed gearboxes????

The gearbox codes of the D/R 5speed gearboxes?

The D/R 5speed gearboxes are top starter type???

Edited by 1000 Pistes

If I understood good:

The s/r has a push button on the gear lever to select the AWD mode.

The s/r is a push buton 4wd 5 speed. So it's main drive is fwd but when you push in the clutch and push the button its in 4wd. They're found on loyales and dls in the states with a 3.9 final drive ratio. Some turbo gl-10's came with s/r push buttons but were 3.7 .

The d/r has some lever to select the 4WD mode.This lever is located in the front of the gear selection lever,as on the 1st generation 4WDs ???

It's located behind the gear shift in the car but could easily be modded to work where ever

In which models I could find D/R 5speed systems?????

gl's 85-88, gl-10's 85-87, and early rx's 85-86. The turbo cars had a final drive of 3.7 while non turbos had 3.9

It's a fwd trans until put into 4wd where power is given to the tail shaft to give partial power to the rear wheels.

You think that the 5 speed D/R gear graduation is ideal for gravel road rallies(competition use)????

If you put in a lsd in the front or rear and put on a rear disks setup for a e-brake. That way you could drift corners.

Is it possible to see the gear ratios of the two ranges of the D/R 5speed gearboxes????

Have know idea but have seen a chart on a google before

The gearbox codes of the D/R 5speed gearboxes?

I would have to look at mine to know for sure.

The D/R 5speed gearboxes are top starter type???

Side starter.

If I understood good:

It's a fwd trans until put into 4wd where power is given to the tail shaft to give partial power to the rear wheels.

You mean the push button 4WD systems.

Is it possible to use some D/R gearbox(4 speed or 5speed) as 4WD ????

From what model I could take the front LSD ???

You mean the push button 4WD systems.

Is it possible to use some D/R gearbox(4 speed or 5speed) as 4WD ????

From what model I could take the front LSD ???

Yes 4 and 5 speed d/r's are designed to be driven in 4wd. If you find a 87 and up rx transmission you could have awd with center diff lock (not sure if you got the awd d/r version) and a rear lsd. Newer awd's but it's best to just gen a new one http://subaru lsd.

and when is 4WD and when AWD?

the difference between 4WD and AWD?

which cars have 4WD and witch AWD ???

4WD is when all 4 tires turn at the same rate, meaning if you try to turn on dry pavement, you either do damage to your differential/transmission or your tires will jump around since one is spinning faster than the other, 4WD is more for offroad purpose than anything, if you try to use it in bad weather, from my understanding you can actually have less control over your vehicle on pavement than just left in FWD.

AWD is a transmission that has slip, perfect vehicle that will be driven on pavement and bad weather and light offroad uses, this transmission type is fine to do turns on dry pavement and in bad weather actually increases your handling, if one tire turns faster than the other, the slip transmission (AWD) will take care of it, now wear and tear im not sure but im sure the 4WD is probably more ridged than the AWD, but then again, you take the 4WD to offroading capabilities while the AWD should stay on pavement most of the time.

Remember, this is Subaru 4WD and AWD, there are many types of 4WD and AWD other companies make, they are all different, so don't try to use this knowledge on other makes of auto.

Edited by Subasaurus

and when is 4WD and when AWD?

the difference between 4WD and AWD?

which cars have 4WD and witch AWD ???

my understanding is subaru stopped producing 4WD vehicles in 1992ish, D/R transmission stopped in 1990, and AWD came on the late 1989 legacy, standard AWD on all subarus in 1997ish.

but this is all North American Market, i know subaru kept making 4WD and even EA71's well into the 2000's in other countries.

so i don't know what Greece got from subaru.

the one that can help you with this is "Loyale 2.7 Turbo", he knows his accessories and parts and standard equipment and optional features for other countries very well.

Edited by Subasaurus

AWD was introduced to the us with the rx in 87 with the 5 speed d/r with center diff lock and rear lsd. Some of the gl-10's were awd with only the diff lock,  not sure if any came with the awd d/r. Some awd have a front lsd carrier and a open rear. While others have a open front and lsd rear.

interesting, so i guess your screwed if you need one of those rare complicated hybrid almost transmission.

confused......

again: the difference between 4WD and AWD?

again: which cars have 4WD and which AWD ???

I want some car to take the EA 5speed D/R gearbox(ideally to have front LSD),to be used as D/R FWD with front LSD....

If you want that just get a 5 speed 2wd trans with a lsd carrier. A 4wd trans stays in 2wd until put into 4wd. While a awd is driven by all 4 but has a limited slip carrier so it doesn't locked up on dry pavement.