Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C compressor repair options 91 legacy?

91 legacy-is up to 227K but still really in good mechanical shape-A/C compressor (Calsonic) locked up last week. Now here in Texas this is the worst itme of year as heading into the hot season unitl Sept. I had the compressor, along with rec-drier and evaporator replaced and the system converted to R134 in 2000. Cost almost 1000 bucks and this car is not worth that kind of investment now. Am looking for a solution to last the car one more year.

I priced used compressors on the net and they are 65 to 225 it looks like. Am going to call the yards tommorrow. I know i will need a new rec-drier to be safe, but looking for advice or pitfalls from anyone who has done this type of a transplant and "hope it works". i already have the R134 charging tool with gauge, had to shoot up my Pontiac earlier in the year.

Thanks

Hey man, I feel your pain. I replaced my compressor/calsonic last year because it was knocking. It probably just needed some oil & refrige....however I replaced it anyway with a used one and converted the system. The used one that's in there now leaks a little around the shaft seal......so I've got ANOTHER used one I will probably put in this summer some time when I do my tranny swap.

If you want....you can have my old compressor for free + shipping. It'd probably last you the summer.

Where you at in tx?

well guess what......my compressor just **** the bed this morning. So I'm going to have to use that spare I have....hopefully it is ok. Will need to get some cleaner to clean out the lines, and do some other misc stuff. Will need a receiver/dryer too. So I guess we'll see how this goes......

Josh, thanks any way. I read the notes you wrote on the convert you did and that helped a lot. i got a used comp from JY(65$) still running r12, and new rec-drier( $35). A/c guy at shop near house recomended flushing lines with laquer thinner and compressed air, said is better thatn the commecial flush stuff. and split the ester oil (capacity 8 oz) equal among the comp, rec-drier,evap and condensor minus 1 oz that he would shoot in along with the R134 after a long vaccuum.(67 bucks)

So a days work and 200 bucks for all things and it is cold and does not leak.

I live just north of ft worth texas

Cool.....glad you got it worked out. I took mine apart on monday and got it back together tuesday. I did use the a/c flush stuff. It seemed to work ok. I'll be bringing it by a shop on saturday to pull a vacuum....so we'll see how it works.