Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grinding noise 91 loyale

SO I have been working to get my 91 4wd pushbutton MT loyale up to 100% mechanically.... or as close as I can.

I get a grinding noise somewhere in the rear half when I get down a little more on the skinny fun pedal, or am going up a steeper hill. Pretty much anytime the rear end would "sink" due to acceleration or a hill.  the sound is the same weather im going 15 up a hill, or accelerating through 55mph. so it does not change with speed. It can happen over speed bumps, but is not struts due to it being a constant grind up hills. Now, the grinding sounds similar to really squeaky struts, but it is far to constant to be struts. Ive had it up on a lift and did a mild look over when i was changing the oil. but not digging to deep.

Possibly related to the issue but maybe not, If I am cursing at speed and give it a lot of gas quickly there is a clunk in the rear end. I thought it might just be the stowage compartment clanking. When I engage 4wd and punch the gas, the clunk goes away.

I'm really not sure what it could be, Just seeing if anyone has had experience with this problem.