Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought a 1998 Legacy Outback from a lady who told me she could not longer drive a stick due to foot surgery.  Car has been idle for about 2 months.  She assured me there is nothing wrong with it.

It misses both at idle and acceleration  and check engine light starts flashing.  I put in fuel injector cleaner 2 times

Auto Zone scan says misfire on all 4 cylinders and EGR valve, but EGR seems OK.  I have replace the fuel filter and crank sensor.

Also, it did not want to take gas when I tried to fill the tank.  Couldn't put more than 10 cents in before it tried to overflow.

Did I get screwed?

Nah. misfires are usually quite simple. Start with standard tune up stuff that should be done for every car. New spark plugs and plug wires. Subaru brand or NGK are best is very likely to cure your misfire. Injector cleaner is healthy once in a while but wont fix a misfire.

If that doesn't do it, it's possibly the coil. I have a few used ones around that I know are good if it comes to that.

Is the gas tank full? Sometimes if the sending unit gets stuck (possible from sitting) it wont real full on the dash. Used to have a ford that did this. I just used the trip odometer to let me know when it was getting lower and carried a gallon can of gas wherever I went just in case.

Oh, and welcome to the board! Is this your first Subaru?

That car also has an igniter on the fire wall dead center of the engine bay up high next to all those small funny metal tubes. Check the connector, maybe clean some of the connectors and apply di-electric grease. I bought the same car with a missfire, the previous owner had done a tune-up and didnt get the spark plug caps on tight. You should feel and hear a snap when pushed on properly. Moisture sometimes causes this problem, hose down all the connectors you can find with wd-40. Good luck.

For the fuel filler, jack the car up and remove the right rear tire. You can see the filler tube under a plastic cover. These tubes rot and leak often, may be collapsed from road debris or a blow out. Easily replaced. , you can get one from local junk yard. Pay special attention to the configuration, i.e. how the vent hose attaches. The junk yard will have a couple of different configurations, only one will fit.