Ultimate Subaru Message Board

29 Years as a Tech in the same location 10-20-1986 - 04-07-2015

Last Tuesday was my last day as a Master Technician - Shop manager.  I was at the same location for 29 years - that was over half of my life. I have had many long-time customers calling me over the last two days asking what I am going to do :eek: 

I would appreciate any positive thoughts or blessings while I look for 'direction' and a new shop to spend a few more years helping people. I have several options in the area and many contacts.

Thank you,

Jeff

Wow, 29 years, that is impressive and most of my age haha (33 years.) I hope you find what you need and want. I think we all deserve that, never know, sometimes things happen that seem like they might be bad but in the end was for the best.

Wishing you good luck!

Levi

• Like 2

Dear Friend Jeff,

Despite that seems Sad to lost a Job, where you've been for so many Years, you must Never forget that each time a Door is Closed, God will open a Better one for you; you'll find your new Path soon.

Don't forget to see this event as an Opportunity, maybe you can Start your own Business, or maybe meanwhile you find another Job, you can do several things that you have not done due to the Lack of Time; and spend quality time with your Family and Friends, finish some projects, etc... 

Kind Regards & Blessings.

• Like 5

Best of luck !

I'm sure there are too many ideas in your mind right now but of course I'm going to offer the thought/suggestion that single bay rentals in existing shops are out there. Maybe do that for a short stretch while you are afforded some in between time to hunt out offers. Guys like you will have plenty of work from word of mouth. And if possible throw a bone to your old service writer. ;)

• Like 2

Best of luck !

I'm sure there are too many ideas in your mind right now but of course I'm going to offer the thought/suggestion that single bay rentals in existing shops are out there. Maybe do that for a short stretch while you are afforded some in between time to hunt out offers. Guys like you will have plenty of work from word of mouth. And if possible throw a bone to your old service writer. ;)

Thank you. I was my own service writer and salesman. I was also the only tech for (2) locations!

Things at work had become SO tense that I used my spare time to set up an S-10 Blazer as a temporary mobile shop to work out of for the last few months. I tried to use one of my EA82 Wagons for this but it just couldn't take the the extra weight. The Blazer even feels heavy. The back seat has been removed. The inside back is loaded with most everything I need. It took some thought as to how to tie it all in safely. The back end has a slide out drawer that I rigged up with a old Blue-Point box on it bolted up to the factory cargo tie downs. Just open the rear gate, roll out the chest and go. It works pretty darn well. The box doesn't actually even touch the tail gate, it JUST clears it ;)

Of course this is just temporary mobile tool storage until I relocate. I WILL NOT be 'shading' out of it if I can help it, lol.

S10%20Left%20Front.JPG?dl=0

S10%20Right%20rear.JPG?dl=0

S10%20Right%20rear%20open.JPG?dl=0

S10%20Rear%20box%20out.JPG?dl=0

S10%20Rear%20box%20out%20lower%20open.JP

Obviously I am still working on it. I'll have plenty of time to finish it up now I guess :)  The top two drawers are not installed in these pictures.

-Jeff

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 3

All I can say is I wish you lived closer! Best of luck in all your endeavors. And, a master tech on here is a godsend! (Not that I want to hit you up for free advice or anything... no, I'd never do that!  :-))

Welcome to USMB. It's a great board and forum. Lots of good people.

• Like 2

This Setup you did, is...

S10%20Rear%20box%20out%20lower%20open.JP

...Beyond Awesomethumbsup.gif

A little of topic, but some years ago, one of the Projects that a friend and I finished (for Him), was to Swap a ' yota 22R + its Manual Trans, onto a similar Blazer, which was a Gas thirsty, V6 Automatic:

IMG1993A.jpg

I really like your Mobile Shop Setup, is really Great. Thumbup.jpg

Kind Regards.
  • Like 1

You wouldn't be "shading" you would be "backkyarding" and that isn't bad. ;)

Sounds like you might consider setting up your own shop.  It seems you already have most of the knowledge.  Just find yourself a good accountant first if you decide to go that route.

Shadetree mechanics do partial jobs, jobs not done right, etc....

backyard mechanics just don't have there own shop to work out of. 

And then there is the mobile mechanics.  Some of those guys are the best I've ever worked with. :)

• Like 1

Again, you guys are the best :clap: I also made sure to keep my certs up over the years. Here are some of the ones I am proud of.

Cropped%20ASE%20Certs.jpg?dl=0

This test is pretty difficult, 48 out of 50! I'll take it  :D

ASE%20nailed%20it%21.jpg?dl=0

Thank you, I am humbled.

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 3

Have you ever considered teaching a program say like the community college? 

Be sure to post here if you decide to do your own business either in a fixed location or mobile. Sounds like you already got lots of customers that know you are trustworthy. That is an asset as they are clientele you can use to start your own gig if that is what you want to do. 

Maybe a youtube channel dedicated to repairs and such?

Best of luck.

• Like 1

I'll have a chance to review some of my old jobs - projects now...

SHO Taurus Heater Core

SHO%20Heater%20Core%20Dash%20Out.jpg?dl=

SHO%20Heater%20Core%20Dash%20In.jpg?dl=0

And an early Toyota Camry XLE Quad Cam V6 that turned out really well;

Engine%20and%20Trans%20assembly.jpg?dl=0

DOHC%2024V%20Heads.jpg?dl=0

Camry%20Empty%20Bay.jpg?dl=0

Subframe%20-%201.jpg?dl=0

Probably to be continued as I find more photos,

if anyone is still watching :popcorn:

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 2

You wouldn't be "shading" you would be "backkyarding" and that isn't bad. ;)

Sounds like you might consider setting up your own shop.  It seems you already have most of the knowledge.  Just find yourself a good accountant first if you decide to go that route.

Shadetree mechanics do partial jobs, jobs not done right, etc....

backyard mechanics just don't have there own shop to work out of. 

And then there is the mobile mechanics.  Some of those guys are the best I've ever worked with. :)

That Scotty Kilmer guy on youtube is a backyard mechanic and he does a pretty good job.  I mean if you have a garage there is no reason why not to do it. One of my family members does it with the stand alone garage next to the house.  Does pretty good for himself and he is in a more rural area.

Edited by capmarvelous

I'll have a chance to review some of my old jobs - projects now..

Probably to be continued as I find more photos,

if anyone is still watching :popcorn:

Mesmerized right here, keep them coming Jeff.  I am going to follow this topic and I agree with BumbleBeast.  You will do great.  You have the skill set that few people out there can match.  Just call up your old customers and give them your new location and set up shop in your garage.  You can also do a little mobile work also but if you can bring the work to your garage its better.  Nothing beats being able to pop into the house for a nice cold beer and a snack, or if you want to take a breather in the Lazy Boy and surf the web for a break.  One great thing for mobile is checking out used cars for used car buyers.  When I was in LA there were a few outfits like that and they advertised with adds in the yellow pages and leaving little cards under the windshield wipers.

Edited by capmarvelous
  • Like 1

Ya my head is still spinning! Tomorrow is the first Monday that I wake up to no job in almost 30 years. It's a relief, and at the same time, really freaky! ;)

Here is a friends Brat, He was doing a D/R swap and got stuck on it. I told him I would fix it for him. Here are some pictures of that project. It was a fun one! I tried to convince him that he should just sell it to me but he wouldn't go for it, darn :lol:  It's not like I could park it anyway...

Brat%20in%20the%20air.jpg?dl=0

It turns out that be was trying to use an EA81 Flywheel and pressure plate and it just wasn't working out. I ended up using an EA82 flywheel and pressure plate with the larger 4WD EA81 clutch disc. In this picture the EA81 flywheel is on the left and the EA82 is on the right. This difference in height causes problems. Using the EA81 flywheel with the Dual Range trans makes it so the starter won't work without a spacer, the clutch cable is too short to connect, etc. Not to mention that the stepping is different as well. This solved all of those problems. The clutch felt like factory and the starter fits without any spacer now.

EA81%20vs%20EA82%20Flywheels.jpg?dl=0

Here is the 5MT Dual Range strapped down to the trans jack ready to go in,

5MT%20DR%20Swap.jpg?dl=0

Jerry's kit comes through again! Thanks Jerry :clap:

Brat%20DR%20Jerrys%20Kit.jpg?dl=0

Here is the new custom 1 piece driveshaft installed and it fit like a glove.

Brat%20DR%20Driveline.jpg?dl=0

Stay tuned - who knows what I'll dig up next... :popcorn:

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 1

This Monster used to be a Cherokee I think! Talk about a BEAST - This thing was SCARY FUN TO DRIVE!!!

Front%20End%20outside.jpg?dl=0

Here is my buddy Gordon with his new toy, he didn't have this one very long.

Rear%20view%20with%20Gordon.jpg?dl=0

Here it is inside for a looking over,

Inside%20the%20shop.jpg?dl=0

The interior is a little sparce, but then again what do you really need in there anyway? It's just a wheeler,

Sparce%20interior.jpg?dl=0

I'm not quite sure what happened here as he bought it this way, I promise that isn't my work lol,

Rear%20Plate%20work.jpg?dl=0

More to come...

Edited by Crazyeights

@Mykeys Toy

Yes I am in the North end. Almost all of my customers are up this way too.  Thanks for the kind words, especially the "doesn't stress you out" part ;)

@Subarutex

photo-88.png?_r=1361333681

I am glad that I got to give you the 50 cent tour before the end came, I knew it was coming soon. As far as the water cross-over goes, I had fun doing it - plus ALL of the tools and parts went with me :eek:  I'll always have a minute to help you out, just holler anytime if you need anything.

:banana::zzz::clap::grin:

Edited by Crazyeights

It always amazes me that these Brats brand new were about 6,800 dollars.  How many amongst us now wouldn't pay that money if that exact car were still made brand new today.  I truly believe that Japanese cars from the 80s were the zenith of reliability and design in the automotive world, ever, past present or future.

• Like 1