Ultimate Subaru Message Board

29 Years as a Tech in the same location 10-20-1986 - 04-07-2015

Hope this was a retirement instead of a lay-off. Either way, take a much deserved rest. Enjoy your time off.

Thank you, something will work out I'm sure ;)   Ahhh, well I wouldn't exactly put it that way.... :eek: 

I reported to work at 5 minutes to 8:00 am as usual on Wednesday morning ready to start my day. There was a note waiting for me, followed up by a phone call, and I was packing my stuff by 8:05. No notice, no benefits, no retirement, no severence, and no 401k (promised 23 years ago - another story) :mad: 

Anyway it does sort of suck (or was it a blessing in disguise?)  I might need a week or so to get my stuff together.

1-2%20drive%20sockets%20dishwasher%20-%2

1-2%20drive%20sockets%20dishwasher%20-%2

1-2%20drive%20sockets%20washed%20-%202.j

I guess it's not all that bad having a minute to gather ones 'thoughts' and polish your 'Chrome' every 30 years or so :clap: I plan to continue to try and stay healthy and concentrate on spending more time with my wife (whom has been VERY supportive), my family, and friends - including YOU GUYS! The rest will either work out or it won't, time will tell ;)

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 1

... I was packing my stuff by 8:05. No notice, no benefits, no retirement, no severence, and no 401k (promised 23 years ago - another story) ...

Appreciated Jeff,

Very kindly let me ask: Was that Promise Written to you?

Did they gave you a Contract?

As Lawyer, I know that you must be covered by some kind of Security, and usually the Lack of a written Contract and the Lack of payments from your Benefits, are against the Law; however, since Laws are different from the Latin American / Honduran style, to the USA / your State \ your Area's style; requirements must be different, but my advice as Lawyer is Solid: You must contact the Department of Labor at their office that is nearest to you; also you might want to ask a Lawyer among your local friends for further advice; because by Not Doing anything within few Days after you got Fired, you can lost any benefits you might have, that your past employer denied to honor, and you are not aware from those.

~► http://www.dol.gov/

~► http://www.hg.org/employ.html

~► http://www.nlrb.gov/

I bet you will find further information on your case, on those websites.

Greetings from Honduras,

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

As always there are two sides to everything. There are many details that don't belong in a public forum. It was NOT my business, and a small family owned one at that. The last few years have been pretty scary :eek:   I'm glad it's over... I think that we all tried as hard as we could for as LONG as we could.

Edited by Crazyeights

• 1 month later...

A new chapter begins. I was hired as a technician today by a new car dealer in Everett, Wa. I am both excited and nervous at the same time ;)  They offer full benefits and factory training too! I move in next Tuesday and start work on Wednesday. Thanks to everyone here for all the support, you guys are great :clap: 

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hope all goes well in your Future until people have as many miles under their tyres they cannot understand the big leap of faith required to start fresh at that point in ones lifes journey.

Small family concerns can be great but !! as you obviously know all too well when times get tougher Blood is thicker than water and relationships can change, No doubt plenty of unfortunates on here as elsewhere have either experienced a relationship breakdown and nine times out of ten it is Money and mounting Bills that are the root cause of Divorce or separation and after so long in the Job it is really more like a marriage breakdown very stressfull.

Glad that is now the past and your future is bright because obviously your New employers are smart enough to recognise your experience is Priceless, Most Dealerships I see in Australia are probably just like in the US and no doubt many other places across the World, Fifty  Aprentices and maybe two or three if they are lucky Gun Grade Number One Primo Technicians (We Havent Been mechanics for Twenty Years or more) that can fix things and sort out the Apprectices woes and Mistakes.

Their Wisdom in not letting you escape their employment shows a wisdom in dealership management not seen that often where so many think anyone over thirty is "Too Old and beyond it", More fool managers with those Ideals for they are so wrong and I have no doubt they will thank their lucky stars you arrived.

Have a great stressfree and rewarding Future where you are really appreciated for your Experience, Skill and obvious Loyalty the last being such a rare thing these days.

• Like 1

@Coxy, thank you for the kind words ;)

I had no idea how hard the transition from an independent shop to a dealer would be. I am starting to feel like I might be 'over the new guy hump'. It seems like I am beginning to earn some respect from the other techs too. It is hard to "prove myself" with everyone watching so closely. Talk about feeling SMALL again! 

Most of what I did for the first 3 days was diagnose various problems on the 2 mile test run, one of my strong points.  I was cranking out lots of waiter rotates, brake inspections, and 30,000 mile services too. I must have flagged 50+ flat rate hours in the first 4 days.

My writer and team leader are nice, patient, and fair. Experience with a broad range of vehicles seems to be helpful too. I am getting some slightly more complicated repairs during my second week.

I end up with 5 days off once each month due to the schedule rotation.  I work most Saturdays and the shifts are 10 or 11 hour days! That will take some getting used too.

My uniforms are on order.  Good sign :clap: 

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 1

Hang in there, Crazyeights.  Don't under-estimate yourself.  Honesty, capability, dependability and a "good attitude" will take you a long way.  I think you'll be very comfortable in a short time.

Keep us up on how it goes . . . we're all rooting for you! 

• Like 1

The 'Monday morning' test is a good barometer of my progress. I used to be sick to my stomach heading in to my old job after a couple days off. I find myself already looking forward to what ever is next for me at the new place. Everyone there is SO nice too. That helps a lot. I'll update here once in a while. Most of the techs there seem to think that I will settle in and be much happier there.

We are allowed to shut the doors and we have killer heat right over our tool boxes. I've never had that luxury before :D  I received my benefit package from HR too :clap:  I have never worked for a company with an 'HR' dept, lol ;)

Here is my new home away from home. This was taken just after setting up my box. I have had a chance to clean up since then.

My%20Area%2001.JPG?dl=0

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear of your situation, but I'm glad you found a nice little spot to settle in! 

PS- I can't see any of your pics. :( Probably just my work's dumb firewall... I'm interested to see your projects!

PPS- You worked at the old place for 2 years longer than I've been alive

Edited by wotdsm

So sorry, Jeff.  Don't get discouraged . . . keep looking.  There's a "right place" for you out there somewhere.

I have no doubt that you are right ^^^ thank you for the kind words :). I am getting both good at and tired of moving my tools ;)  I would advise working out of the "small portable box" for the first week or so next time. Lesson learned the hard way :banghead: 

Edited by Crazyeights

Sometimes others see somebody who works hard as potentially showing them up or as a threat to their own position, Dealerships can be very political animals as you have now likely figured out.

Hang in there if somebody is not smart enough to see how valuable you can be to them then more fool them.

This is the type of shop you belong in page three of this thread Andy's shop somebody who puts things into the right perspective, Oh and it is a real great thread and well worth taking the time to read with some very useful information within especially noteworthy about how the dealer dealt with the customer, What a pack of twits.

Such a dealership would not work out for you you have too much pride and integrity in what you do, something obvious in Andy and Tracey's shop is a similar attitude to what you do when it comes to your work, Somewhere out there is the right people with the right attitude who will appreciate and welcome you into the fold.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16202&start=30

Edited by coxy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

October 2015 had arrived and I was reaching a low point. Unemployment benefits were about to run out in a week, savings stressed out, and no prospects in sight.  I decided to drop off one last copy of my resume at a local independent repair shop with a really good reputation.  It turns out that some former customers had been 'dropping my name' unbeknownst to me.  I recieved a call back exactly 29 years to the day (10/20/2015) that I was hired for my last job.

My interview was the next day on the 21st and I was hired. I don't exactly understand how it happened, but I am starting to believe that faith really can help get you through some tough times.  I made it through the first few weeks and I just recieved my first paycheck in 6 months! I thought it was time to update this thread with some good news. Here is a quick peek at the new 'sandbox' I play in  ;)

Tools%20at%20Brets.jpg?dl=0

Tools%20at%20Brets%20-%203.jpg?dl=0

Inside%20Shop%20-%201.JPG?dl=0

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 1

Fantastic news!  Congratulations, Crazyeights.

Yes, faith carried you through a dark, scary period.  But skill, honesty and attitude got you where you are now.

The fact that, unbeknownst to you, former customers were dropping your name is the best compliment anyone can ever get.

Good luck--and keep us up on how it's going.

• Like 1