Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Impreza OBS Auto Speedo Adapter issues... :-(

Ok, so narrowing down on the problems and for me this is the biggest one, especially since I like to play and at 80 you feel like your doing 50 so not really good for possible tickets. ;)

I located the problem which is the slot part of the adapter (sensor) was broke.  I got the new part today and went to install it which is when the problems started.

The biggest problem I have is that it appears the slotted part that broke is still in place.  It's basic pot aluminum so of course a magnet won't work (then again if they had used steel or better quality aluminum it might not have broke in the first place).

I can't figure out how the **** to get this thing out!  

Any help please!

So, maybe pictures will help.  If you've ever dealt with these you'll recognize the complete adapter.  It's the one w/ the black washer and metal washer glued to the bottom.  Looking at that, you can then see my old one and what is stuck in the transmission.

20150411_085821.jpg

Where it's supposed to screw into (but won't due to the rubber/metal washer stuck in there)

IMG_20150411_090126%3Anopm%3A.jpg

Yes, my garage is a disaster.  Still going through stuff from storage as I move in.

IMG_20150411_090331%3Anopm%3A.jpg

Better close up of where it's supposed to go:

IMG_20150411_090409%3Anopm%3A.jpg

Ahh I see. I had that issue when I swapped the trans in my 95. I used an older trans that had the cable and needed to put the sensor for the 95 in it. I just got in there with a pick tool and pried out the rubber part, and the lower metal part would spin but I never could get it to pop up to where I could get it out. Never did get that out. There was just enough room without the rubber washer that I could thread the sensor in with a little thread tape to seal it. I think it was getting dark or starting to rain or something and I needed to get the trans back in the car.

Best thing is to probably fish around in there with a couple pick tools and try to get that thing popped up so you can get something under it.

Either that or just yank that part off the bottom of the new one and thread it in.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on how tightly it's retained.

if you could clean the area extremely well, maybe some super glue on a screwdriver could work. Don't get in a hurry and let it cure properly.

maybe a pair of snap-ring pliers? the kind set-up for 'external' rings? but, there may not be enough clearance?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I actually did think about tearing the same stuff off the bottom of the new one and just putting it in. lol  But, I like this car a lot.  I don't like the idea of doing it half-way unless I just run out of options.  

The pick and hook set I did think about.  My grandfather has a little set, but I think I need something like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/pick-and-hook-set-7-pc-69592.html

For the $8 and adding it to my tool set I will do it, if I can't get it out any other way.  I need to get the Legacy running again anyways so I can get the window up. lol  I have the Alternator here just have to put it in.  

So, I'll go spend another 15/20 on the Impreza and if I don't have luck I'll put the alternator in the Legacy and jumpbox it to go get tools. :-/

That is unless someone comes up with another idea between now and then.

I guess it depends on how tightly it's retained.

if you could clean the area extremely well, maybe some super glue on a screwdriver could work. Don't get in a hurry and let it cure properly.

maybe a pair of snap-ring pliers? the kind set-up for 'external' rings? but, there may not be enough clearance?

I have a set of snap-ring pliers, but my set doesn't include anything that would work in this scenario.  All the heads are either straight or curve to the inside or 90 angle, not to the outside.  And I don't think superglue is going to  hold metal to metal well, but I would have to check the bottle (not sure I have a bottle at the moment).

I got and in case anyone else runs across this I'll explain how I got it (unlike the couple other threads that have this same issue on other forums).

First, rubber swells and that rubber part was swollen so I picked at it a bit with a screwdriver and had part of it out, i.e. releasing some tension.

I had tried this ealier, but with the rubber part way out it worked this time.

I took the extra long needle nose and stuck them down in the center and spread them apart (so the ends were against the inside edge of that metal washer).

I pried up.  It took a couple of times but the washer finally popped up.

I had to remove the rest of the rubber using the needle nose (of course it was basically sealed to the sides and glued there).

I was then able to see the broken bottom piece.

The speedo seems a little slow to react, but it is definitely working.  So I know the cable/speedo adapter are good.  If it's off, etc... that will be at the instrument cluster and that's a project for another day. :)

Now I just have to put the air cleaner, etc... back together. :)