Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 legacy interior dash lights. Already searched this, have a different issue

So it's a 97 legacy wagon. The typical HVAC lights have been out since I owned it(Oct'14), so last week I decided to replace the 3 bulbs with LED replacements.

Everything worked fine and dandy. Next evening all of a sudden the whole dash goes black and taillights were out. Ok it's a fuse. There was a 10A fuse in place of a 20A fuse so I figured that was the only issue.

Fast forward to a couple nights later. Dash goes black again. This time my taillights are still on. The fuse checked ok this time as well.

So is it possible my illumination control module died? Find it odd that this happened after installing LEDs which use less juice than regular bulbs

Read this first

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/03/piston-slap-traversing-world-led-retrofit-bulbs/

I would really go back to light bulbs as they last about ten years, and that illumination control is not cheap (it is in a junkyard get a few of them).

Is the entire dash out, or just sections of it. Does your glove box light work (its run by the illumination controller)

Read this first

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/03/piston-slap-traversing-world-led-retrofit-bulbs/

I would really go back to light bulbs as they last about ten years, and that illumination control is not cheap (it is in a junkyard get a few of them).

Is the entire dash out, or just sections of it. Does your glove box light work (its run by the illumination controller)

No the glove box doesn't work either.